Chapter Twelve

Ch.12

Polaroids, notes, flowers... the box was full of little trinkets and keepsakes. I jaw falls slack as something tugs at my stomach, was I going to cry? Why?

Taped to the outside top of the box was a note,

Sirina,
I can't explain it all... hopefully some day. These are things I've saved from the times I spent with your mother. I can't have them anymore, but if I must part with them I think you should have them.
I warn you, I haven't been able to bring myself to open this box since before that night... I can't recall what exactly is in it.
Share them with Harry; if you wish... if it's worth it.
Thank you,
Severus

The photographs were all muggle made, not moving. Lily had a smile that stretched throughout her entire body, everything about her screamed happiness. She was young and innocent, but happiness consumed her.

Snape was in a few as well, some were clear and of him alone... but most were blurry and crooked, it appeared Mum tried to take many pictures of the two of them together. And failed miserably. But the smiles never left.

Snape as a child was odd. It's not something you think about, that once he was an innocent twelve year old boy, who was the closest of friends with this ray of sunshine. He smiled fully, his eyes always slightly out of focus as if he's looking at something other than the camera.

Small flowers were pressed and preserved, sealed in tiny baggies. Mostly lilies; some roses too, Mum must have always liked roses.

There were several handwritten notes that must have been passed between my mum and Snape during their classes. I couldn't bring myself to read them, they felt private... as if I was reading someone's diary. But they seemed as happy and bubbly as the photos.

Only one really stood out, the writing was messier, as if the hand was shaking. There were wet stains across the ink. It was from Lily to Snape. I couldn't read it all, but it had to do with Aunt Tunie.

Several toys and candy wrappers littered the bottom of the box, things that probably meant a lot to Snape; but I would never grasp the meaning of. I gently shifted through the remaining wrappers and such, old candies. Mostly muggle sweets that I'd never had nor heard of.

But underneath what would seem like garbage, lay a simple necklace. I slowly pulled it out to examine it. My breath caught in my throat as I gazed at it.

It had a thin gold rope chain, and at the center a garnet pendant. Maybe ruby. It was a red stone. I'd assume garnet because it was Lily's birthstone.

The teardrop stone was encased in what appeared to be diamonds. The whole thing glittered in the light. I couldn't bring myself to put it back in the box with the other items.

Holding the necklace in one hand, I cleaned up my mess with the other. Pausing every so often to gaze at the pendant again. I closed the box, but held onto the necklace still. I was so drawn to it.

Examining it closely, I tried to find any clue that the stones were simulated. Most of the things in the box were from when they were children. There's no way either of them had a diamond and garnet necklace at that time.

Before I could stop myself, the necklace was on. My breath caught in my throat as I looked at it in the mirror. For how gorgeous it was, it somehow blended well on me. It fit me somehow.

I feel the air in the room shift, and know that my locking spell has timed out and I wouldn't be alone for much longer. As if on cue, Hermione opened the door and walked in as if I hadn't had it locked for the past fourty-five minutes.