"You're insane! You've lost it!" Jung Min shivered, crossing his arms.

"Call it whatever you want. Insanity, foolishness, lunacy. I don't care! We have a war here. Can't you see that? If you really want to prove yourself that you're rightful to be one of Silla's pillars, you'll do everything to protect it."

"By ruining other people's lives? I'll talk to the Queen again. This won't do!" Jung Min opened the window and yelled, "Stop the palanquin!"

The moment the carriage dropped, Jung Min abruptly opened the window and got out. Medium-cool hands of the wind unclogged his wheezing bronchi. Fortunately, they were only a few paces away from the main gate of the palace. He could have run as fast as a thunderbolt, but apparently, Jung Ho had held his arm before he could even jet. The son looked back, giving his father a glare as scorching as the afternoon sun.

"Let go!"

Jung Ho's gripped tightened, his trimmed nails digging to the man's dandelion skin. "You don't want this to get ugly, do you? Get in." his voice was as soft as a whisper but strong as thunder roar. The scathing stress, the conviction, the authority!

"I will never be your running dog all my life! I'm done. I won't ruin another person's life just for your enjoyment."

"Do you even hear yourself saying that heroic stupidity? You're not going to ruin someone. In fact, you're helping them to build what they've lost." the grip loosened as the wild son has been pacified.

"Can you please stop these vague speeches and go straight to the point? Why do I need to marry that Princess?" Jung Min's voice shot from his lungs straight to his father."

"The King has failed to clarify his terms and conditions. He stated in that letter that he'll finally allow an open trading relationship if the Queen approves the thirty-day labor of her nobleman. It's not clear what kind of trading relationship. It could be academic, cultural, political... You know what, that's not what the Queen needs right now. She doesn't care if they learn something about our culture, practices, or kitchen spices. What they need right now is iron."

Jung Min's lips thinned out, listening to his father, trying to digest every word he was saying. The Prime Minister continued, "I think the King did that on purpose. A vague statement of an open trading relationship. He doesn't want to give Balhae even an ounce of iron ore...He'll let them suffer because of the blatant insult that fat nobleman has given Silla. But I am different. Giving a small number of our resources to those poor people in their provinces won't cripple our nation. No righteous, hard-working person should be squeezed and punished just because of these political tensions. You know who should be punished? Those sneaky, opportunistic hoarders exploiting our resources—not the common people."

His father's speech was clearly a double-edged sword. Black and white. Helpful in a way, but with dark impurities. Knowing his father, Jung Min was pretty much aware of the hidden layers of Jung Ho's proposal. But then he realized, yes, no commoner should suffer because of their leaders' conflict.

"And how is that related to marrying the Balhae Princess?

"I told Queen Songyeon that if she and her daughter agree with this, they'll receive some help from us. I'll give them what they need."

"How about the King? He won't agree with this. You just said that."

Jung Ho grinned and grabbed his son's shoulder. "I can handle him."

A thrifty smile and a nod were all Jung Min could respond. Apparently, he seemed slowly impressed with the Prime Minister's audacity and sagacious decisions. His father's last statement made him convinced. "Well, your insights are very enlightening, father. At the end of the day, it's still for the people. Right—when we get home, I will tell the King all those inspiring words that you've told me. I will convince him to give some iron ores to the people of Balhae. It won't cripple us, right? I know our king. He's compassionate, kind, and loving. He'll understand." he then winked.