Chapter 21. Lovesick puppy here!

She'd spent the last two and a half hours trying to figure out what actually had happened between her and Mike. She felt like she was in the twilight zone, and that she'd been there forever.

The look she had seen in Mike's eyes as he'd uttered those words,  made her cringe, and her inside ached more than she was willing to admit. What had she done? What had she said?

The pain she'd felt as he had left her sitting there in the front, to go sit with his band-mates, was unbearable. The look of hurt in his eyes were haunting her ruthlessly.

She wasn't ashamed of him. How could she be?

He was the most desirable icon in the whole rock'n'roll business, and he thought SHE was ashamed of HIM!

She just wasn't all that into all the media hoopla that seemed to always surround the band. SHE did not want to be seen.

A wimpish sound emerged low in her throat, and the feeling of complete and utter loneliness overpowered her. This had turned out to be the longest flight ever.

And all of it was her own fault.

~      ~       ~  

The immediate hours after they had reached New York and landed at JFK airport Sam had been like in a daze. She did not see people around her, she did not hear them and she did not care at all. Mike had just cast a glance in her direction before they'd left the plane, and as she'd seen the somber look in his eyes, her heart had shattered into a million pieces.

With her mouth pursed into a thin line, she just turned away from him like it'd been the easiest thing in the world for her, but inside she ached to bits, then she'd just walked off the plane.

Now she sat in this shabby hotel-room, which she had payed her last cent for, and couldn't even remember how she'd gotten from the airport to this hotel. The only thing she knew was, that she was alone. Totally alone.

And she was probably out of a job as well.

She had not even bothered to give Rusty a call as they'd landed, she just escaped from the overcrowded airport to the safe haven of this rathole.

She did not felt like talking to anyone.

Her bag laid half open on the bed where she'd thrown it, and she went over there to rummage through it looking for her sweatpants and an over sized t-shirt. Quickly she took off her jeans and the tight top she was wearing and then changed into the more homely and comfortable clothes. She then put the rest of her stuff in the dresser that stood by the bed.

Slumping down in the only and worn down armchair that stood all alone and propped up in one corner of the room, she stared blank in front of her.

Could she be more miserable than she was now? No, she did not think so. She was absolutely sure of it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mike stared in front of him and rubbed his bristled chin as he walked back and forth in his New York apartment, making a pathway in the black and gray speckled marble floor.

His inside was a complete shamble, a turmoil and utter chaos.

"Hey man," Smut muttered, "Stop that will ya'. You are making me dizzy," he sat in a big and luxurious sofa made of dark brown ox hide, sipping from a glass of Jack Daniels."Making paths in that floor ain't gonna help you know."

Mike sent Smut a look of doom and stopped at his words.

"I know that," he said sullenly and stopped by the liquor cabinet and just looked at the bottles,"One of these might do the trick "