Chapter 7. Break a leg

She squatted down and peered from behind one of the enormous speakers. Having done all there was to do before the show, she had earned some well deserved free time, which would last about just five more minutes.

The crowd in front of the stage were immense and very loud.

And the chanting from the enormous mass of people, made her tremble to the core.

A large hand landed on her shoulder and as she spun around, her heart almost stopped beating.

"Soo, you're hiding back here, huh?" Wesley 'Smut' Bender clapped her shoulder casually and grinned at her, "Good enough spot too!"

Sam damned her 'being at the wrong place at the wrong time' luck, which always seemed to happen to her, just her and nobody else!

"Had to check the speaker " she lied and eased away from him.

In his full concert gear, he looked awesome she had to admit reluctantly.

"Hey, I'm not gonna bite you " he promised and continued, "well, are ya' gonna show up afterwards?"

"What?" she had to pinch her arm.

"Mike's and my place, after the show. He told me he had spoken to you about it! Are ya' gonna come?" he gave her a furrowed brow as he absentmindedly checked his bass-guitar one last time.

"Eh...I don't know " was all she managed to press through her lips. Had Mike really told all the other guys about her? Now this was totally awkward!

Wesley clapped her gently on her arm and nodded surely to her.

"Just ease back and enjoy the show, and I'll bet you know what to do when it's over " he said , then he flipped the guitar-band around his shoulder and snapped it shut on the side of the bass. It showed really well that he was deeply rooted in this, and that this was his element.

Staring like a complete moron at 'Smut', she didn't notice Mike coming up on her from behind and she almost jumped out of her skin as he landed a paw on one of her shoulders.

"GOD DAMN IT! " she yelled and then clapped her hand to her mouth, "Are you trying to send me to an early grave, huh?"

She immediately regretted her words the moment they slipped between her lips and out in the open.

But she couldn't help herself. He had scared the shit out of her.

And as that wasn't enough, he was laughing at her. A soft, humble laugh, but never the less, it was a laugh!

"Sorry Sam!" he said with a low husky voice as he slid his way to pass her, "Didn't mean to scare ya' "

Oh yeah sure! Sam could have sworn she saw a gleam of malicious joy in his eyes as he stopped in front of her, smiling that smile again. She hated him for doing that.

Somehow she suspected that he in fact knew what kind of an impact he was having on her.

"So...have you made up your mind about tonight?" his tone and the simple fact that his appearance alone made it hard for her to breath, made it all end in a short "NO" on her behalf.

"Aww, c'mon, it'll be fun! " he eyed her and moved in closer to her, grabbing her, " and now would be the time for you to say 'break a leg' " his grip on her, was making her inside doing flips.

"Break a leg?" it was more a question than a good luck wish. But the moment she had said it,

he pulled her resolutely into a warm and emotional embrace, holding on.

Gulping down what seemed to be a lump the size of Nebraska, she waited with anticipation for him to let go of his grip. This was just  freaking her out!

As he finally did, she stared at him with disbelief and a huge portion of suspicion, making him staring back in wonder.

"What?" he asked and raked his hands through his hair, hearing the crowd screaming his name further on in front of the stage.

"Yeah...I'd like to know that too " she collected herself briefly and straightened her cap on her head. "Why the hug?"

He gave her an impish grin when hearing her question.

"Was it that bad, huh?" he asked, knowing the answer.

"No...but " Sam was totally overpowered here, and she felt out of her league.

That darn prick knew he was totally hot and desirable. Sam could also hear the crowd going wild, screaming his name.

The tension of a show soon about to start was laying like a huge blanket over the whole area in front of the stage.

"Then what's not to like about it, it certainly made my day." his eyes were like two huge oceans of perfectly crystal clear water and Sam felt like she was drowning completely in them, "Now I can go out there and kick some serious ass " he patted her on top of her cap and winked impishly at her.

Then he moved over to the other guys of the band as they had gathered just to the side of the stage, all of them ever so ready to enter it, and to give the crowd what they wanted.

Looking at them as they entered the stage Sam nudged herself even more backwards, and in the process she was almost tripping over all of the wires spread out all over the floor.

A deafening sound resonated from the intimidating speakers, and it felt like the floor on the stage was  vibrating.

She had done this so many times, seen them go on stage, had heard them play, had watched them perform, but strangely enough, this felt like the very first time, and she wasn't a fool, she knew perfectly well the reason for this strange and utterly alien sensation.

It was Mike.

Or more correctly, it was the way she looked at him now, compared to how she had looked at him before, that was the reason! And she by all means utterly hated it. From deep within herself, she hated it!

Snorting loudly to herself she turned around and exited the stage in the back at the same time as hell broke loose in the front!