Chapter 56: Flight

To kill the time, Veronica was chatting with Nathan Hughes, CEO of one of the most successful private airlines. He was known mostly for being a professional pilot. The man was charming and cocky, and looked so classy, dressed in a black suit with his insignia pinned there. She noticed how he was especially getting on Mason's nerves. 

Another car stopped and Sierra stepped out. She walked to the pilot, extending her hand for a handshake, "Nathan." He stared at her, a little confused, taking in her sight. He held her hand, raised it to his mouth and placed a brief kiss on her fingers, sending her a dazzling smile, "Duchess." 

Sierra glanced at Mason and Veronica, "Rest assure. I'll bring Ileana back." 

Mason stampeded towards her, "Hell, I'm coming with you." 

She stepped on the stairs, harshly looking at him, "No." 

He grabbed the railing, already putting one foot up, "My daughter is there, Sierra. I'm not resting till I get her back." 

She glared at him, "I'm not resting either and bringing you with me is only going to give Burrell another reason to break me apart. You've done your part. Let me do mine." She disregarded his curses, stepped into the luxurious interior of the Cessna Citation X after adding, "He's not to board my jet, Nathan."

As soon as he took further steps, Nathan stood in his way. He raised his hand, pressing it restrictively against Mason's shoulder and pushed him back, "You've heard her." He was unmoving. 

In response, Mason violently threw his punch at him and he blocked it, firmly saying, "Back off. I won't repeat myself." 

This time, Nathan applied force and shoved him back. Mason tumbled down the steps, unable to maintain his balance as he landed on the asphalt. Veronica hurried by his side. Nathan ensured they were not following and went inside, the stairs folding and the door closing.

Through the small window, Sierra watched Mason sitting on the ground, his face buried in his hands. He looked like a broken man. The jet started to move. She sighed heavily. She caught Veronica looking at her, conflict all over her face and she reassuringly nodded at her, pressing her hand against the small window.

Once they were flying, she poured herself a glass of wine, praying it was still good and she went to the cockpit, sitting in the co-pilot's seat, next to Nathan. She softly said, "Thanks for accepting such a last-minute request." 

He shook his head, "You're lucky your bodyguard found me in time. I sent a colleague to fill my place for my next flight. So what's up this time? I barely recognised you with your...casual look." 

She chuckled, "Don't you like it?" 

He sarcastically said, flipping on some switches, "Apart from the strange detergent smell that's coming from you, I think you look pretty normal..." 

She sniffed at her sleeve, "It's really smelling? God..." 

He teased, "Not really proper for a duchess." 

She let out a sigh of frustration, sipping into her wine, as she watched the blue sky, barely a cloud in view, "Yes...not proper. How long will it take?" 

"At cruise speed, I'd say around 6 hours." That was too long. 

"Top speed?" 

"Easily 5." 

"Let's go faster." 

He paused, before toggling some keys on the panel, "It sounded pretty serious with your bodyguard back there. I hope you know what you're doing, Sierra. I'd hate to fly you to danger."