Chapter 32: Pride

Sierra was sitting on the couch, papers neatly stacked on the low table as she reviewed the syllabus, diligently preparing her notes and examples for her next classes. She heard the door opening slightly and a second later, saw Ileana walking in slowly, looking completely disheveled and on the verge of breaking down.

She worriedly shoved the papers away and sprang to her feet, worriedly rushing to her, holding her cheek gently, pressing the back of her hand on her forehead, staring at her puffy eyes, "Wh—what happened? Are you sick? Are you hurt?" She wasn't even looking at her in the eye.

Ileana embraced her tightly then. Sierra was scared now as she held her tighter, stroking her back soothingly, "It's alright, sweetheart. I'm here. You can tell me everything. God, you're really making me worry now." 

She closed her eyes, feeling the warmth of her arms. It felt so comforting, "I know everything, Sierra! I'm so sorry I hurt you!" Sierra wondered how much of everything did she know. She hushed her gently, "It's alright now... It's going to be okay." 

She pulled back, blinking her tears, "No it's not. I won't be a burden anymore." 

She sighed at that stubborn girl, wondering how many times she should tell her, "You're not a burden, my love." She harshly answered back, "And you're not family! You're not my aunt. You've all been lying to me. Dad said he's supposed to serve you and I don't even want to know what this means." 

Sierra was shaken. Mason must have been really furious to tell her something like that. She knew he really cared for her. She just wished he could consider her as a normal human being...but of course, who was she kidding with? That was not the case. "Ileana, please... I just want you to stop and listen. No matter what, I will always love you, dear. You mean a lot to me. No one is as more important as you in my life. I don't even know how to put it better." 

She nodded, taking a moment to speak, challenging her, "Then tell me, who are you, Sierra? How do you know my father? What are you guys keeping from me? If you really care for me, tell me everything about you!" She saw Sierra debating with herself, her mouth opening to speak and then her teeth clenching. She merely let out a sigh, shaking her head. Why. Why?! 

She knew it would do no good to be honest. She softly said, praying she'd understand, "It's because I care for you that I can't tell you anything." 

Ileana wiped her tears on her sleeves, "Fine. I won't bother you ever again. You can keep your secrets. Like you always do!" She infuriatingly made her way to her room and Sierra stopped her, "You have to understand that there are certain...chapters in my life that I have closed and don't wish to open again."

Her shoulders slumped heavily, "What can be so bad? Did you kill someone or something? What are you? What did you do? Using my family name Danvers to hide? Are you scared or what?!"

Sierra tried to keep herself from exploding from all these pointless accusations, "Yes, it's bad. Yes, I'm scared."

Ileana clenched her fists. Sierra was scared? That woman, so confident, so clever and so strong? It didn't sound right. She tried, once again, for the last time, "Then, let me help you, like you always help me! Please."

"I don't need help, Ileana."

That was it. Ileana let out a trail of curse words, losing her temper as she madly opened the door to her bedroom and slammed it behind her.

Sierra looked at the close door for a long moment, hearing her niece's swears of anger, so obviously directed to her, coming from inside. If that was the price to pay, then so be it. She went back to the couch to resume her work, hoping that the girl would calm down by next day. She couldn't be forever angry at her for God's sake.