Chapter 39: Trust

Thursday

Torres Corporation

As the automatic doors slid open, Kaitlyn Donovan walked in, a file tucked between her arm and her waist and a popsicle in her hand.  "Hello Hannah, is the boss available?" 

Hannah sighed as she saw it was none other than that investigator. She then arched her eyebrows in shock, "Oh my God, are you okay?" 

She chuckled, realising she was referring to the deep cut on her cheek. It still hadn't heal that much. She watched in surprise as the secretary instantly stood from her desk and said, "You look exhausted! I can do some first-aid if you want." 

She reassured her warmly, "Don't worry about that." 

Hannah hesitated as she settled back at her desk, "He's in a meeting right now. It'll be over in a moment. You could wait here." 

Kaitlyn nodded, looking at the abstract arts on the wall, concentrating on her watermelon popsicle. 

"Ms. Donovan, you shouldn't risk your life like this. I can see that your hands are also bruised." 

She turned to her with a grin, "Got to use my fists sometimes. That's part of the job." 

Hannah wondered how could that woman be so brave. She might behave quite unprofessional on the outside but they all knew, that deep inside, this woman was just on another level. She stopped a deadly pyromaniac about a year ago and almost lost her life. The city would never stop thanking her. She was the definition of strong and yet, compassionate.

She finished her popsicle and tossed the wooden stick to the nearby dustbin. The door opened and a woman followed by two men walked out. Their eyes gleamed when they saw her. They smiled at her, shaking hands with her and greeted her politely as they made their way out. She was still not used to that fame and attention. 

Hannah gestured to James' office and she walked in, "James, I must say you've given me a challenging task." 

He was pleasantly surprised to see her and he instantly closed his laptop to focus on her.  He frowned, pointing towards her cheek, "What's that wound?" 

"Arrested some drug dealers. Had to put up a fight. It's nothing much. They're behind the bars now. Look, I'll be direct." 

He waited expectantly, eyeing the file in her hand in relief and she exclaimed, "I found nothing on her!" 

He shook his head, groaning, "Don't lie to me." 

She pouted, "I'm not." 

"Oh hell you are! Come on, Kaitlyn. You're one of the best detectives I know. You can't tell me you got nothing." 

She pursed her lips, "Fine. I've uncovered her real name. I've dug into her past and there are many things I can't understand. I must let you know that... I'm dropping the case. I'm not telling you a hell damn thing about her." 

"What?! Why?" He was perplexed. Why was she being so agitated?

She sighed, wondering how she was going to explain that to him as she paced his office, "Why? Well, it's very clear to me that Sierra doesn't trust you enough with the truth but she--"

He pointedly interrupted her, frowning now, "And that's exactly why I hired you, Kate. So you bring that truth to me.. Now hand over that file."

She crossed her arms, studying him, seeing the traces of anger on his face. And what else? Frustration? It was no use arguing with him. "There's a good reason she's not being honest with you. She simply can't, James. It'll expose her to danger. It'll expose you to danger."