Chapter 55: Let me Go

01:23

Leroy bent down to caress Ileana's cheek with his finger as one of his men was covering him with a large black umbrella. She was still unconscious, now safely strapped to a stretcher. She was a gorgeous little girl, who took more after her mother rather than that bastard of Mason. 

He smiled proudly, feeling powerful that he was finally in control. Neither Sierra nor Torres could do anything now. He glanced at the latter's son who lied on another stretcher. Definitely a ruthless brat. The gas knocked them out for a good few hours. 

He stepped back, "Embark them." He gestured towards the opened aircraft nose of the cargo plane where his men were loading and unloading containers which enclosed precious instruments and equipment. They were also driving in their jeeps and motorbikes, securing the vehicles with solid straps.

He watched as they carefully raised the stretchers and carried the two of them inside. He ordered, "Don't leave them alone at any circumstances. They are my precious collateral." 

Torres might have a genuine interest in his schemes but he couldn't be sure. It wasn't really that man he feared though. It was more about the duchess. She had played him since the beginning, pledging to marry him but didn't. 

She was the key to his forthcoming success and this time, he would not take any risk. He would force her to cooperate. He knew he didn't have to say a thing. She'd understand by herself as soon as she learnt about this little incident. How he loved to torture her. 

He impatiently instructed, the rain bothering him, "Hurry up. We don't have all day!" His men began to board the plane as well.

Kaitlyn crouched behind one of the parked vehicles, frowning hard as she surveyed the area. There were too many of them and James wasn't even responding to her calls or her texts. She eyed Burrell. That bastard... So powerful. So wicked. 

There was a high possibility that her serial killer was indirectly related to him as well. He was now speaking to the pilot. She could not believe the instructions she heard. 

The plane was going to leave in less than ten minutes. 

She held her breath. It was better not to think and just act in this type of situation. She'd have to board it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

07:35

James awoke slowly to the sound of her quiet sobs. He gazed at her bare back absently. She was curled on herself, facing away from him. Something was wrong...and maybe, he already knew why. 

He shifted, placed his arm around her, brushing his fingers against her damp cheek. She flinched at his gentle touch. He embraced her instantly, burying his face in her dishevelled hair. He breathed into her sweet scent, recalling every single moment of the passion they shared. "What's bothering you?" 

She held his arm, closing her eyes, "I never wanted to fall so hard for you." 

She was tense. He could feel it. "But you did. Do you regret?" 

She laughed softly, "I regret putting you through all of this." 

He tightened his grip around her, "Burrell's not going to hurt you, my love. I already saw to his arrest." 

"James..." 

He insisted, "The police will come in full force and take him away when he shows up. Hell, I even got the FBI on that. The security cameras filmed him spluttering his nonsense." 

"James, we don't stand a chance. Let me go." 

"Oh God, no. You belong to me." He placed his hand instinctively on her stomach and she held him, "You shouldn't have done that. We shouldn't-"