Chapter 58

Now that everything was good between me and Justin, I could focus on Michael and Bella. I tried to tell myself that it wasn't up to me, and I wasn't a part of that, but I wasn't as convincing as I hoped. By lunch, I decided I needed someone else to tell me this...again, so I found Vince. Not that finding him was fairly difficult; he sat at the lunch table across from Justin and me.

"Vince?" I asked quite aware of Justin by my side. He said it didn't bother him anymore, I guess I'd find out if that was true. "Are you free tonight?"

"Uh, yeah," he didn't even ask what for. "I'm driving Ally home, but do you want to come by around four? You should bring Nana, I've been dying for some of the chicken Nana and Charlie make."

"What do I make?" Charlotte asked grabbing the seat next to Ally.

"Apparently you and Nana make really good chicken," I shrugged pushing the green beans on my plate.

"Yes we do!" She exclaimed, immediately cheering up. "Are you guys coming to dinner?"

"Um," I looked at Vince who looked intently back at me. "I guess. I'll ask Grandma."

After I finished eating, Justin and I went to the hallway so I could call Grandma. I expected him to say something, but instead, he sat on the bench next to me and grabbed my hand, tracing shapes into my skin while I dialed. I smiled at the way his fingers tickled my skin

"Hello?" Grandma refused to read the caller ID on the home phone.

"Hey Grandma, it's me."

"What's up sweet pea?" She didn't seem remotely worried that I had called her during school.

"Vince and Charlotte invited us over to their house for dinner tonight, something about fried chicken?" I tried not to move as the shivers ran up my spine from Justin's fingers moving up my arm.

"Oh that sounds wonderful! Why don't you invite Justin?" Mine and Justin's change in attitude towards each other the last few days was definitely caught by Grandma.

"I'll ask him," I turned to Justin. He quit tracing shapes on my skin and looked up at me at my words. "Do you want to go to dinner tonight at Vince's?"

He smiled and grabbed the phone from my hand. "No thanks Nana, I have some homework to catch up on and I'm a bit tired from staying up to study last night." Nana said something to Justin that made him laugh. I couldn't help but smile at his laugh. His eyes caught mine and for a moment I couldn't breathe. "Alright, bye Nana," he handed me the phone back.

"Grandma?" I asked in the phone, having to turn away from Justin to think clearly.

"Still here sweetie"

"I have to go, the bell's gonna ring."

"Alright, love you!"

"Love you too, bye," I hung up just as Justin snuck a kiss on my cheek. His lips had touched my skin and were gone before I even noticed, but that didn't stop the blush from creeping up my cheeks. He pulled me up by my hand still in his. Instinctively, our fingers intertwined as we walked down the hall. As the bell rang, he squeezed my hand before letting it go.

After school, I went straight home where Justin and I worked on our homework until Grandma told me we had to go. Considering we had no idea what or how much food was at Vince's house, we were going to the grocery store before heading over to their house. I had gotten into the habit of going to the grocery store every week. We used to go together, but recently it had been just me.

At Vince's I parked at the top of the hill where I always did. Both Charlotte and Vince came out to the car. Charlotte took the bags from my hand and, after saying a quick hello to Grandma, Vince led me away toward the barn.