Chapter 53

Ally wanted to know why Justin called me his ex-girlfriend. She asked me adding that I didn't have to tell her, but I didn't mind. She had always been a good friend to me so I told her about the night before in the backyard. She didn't say much after that, just insisted that I help her with the math homework. I took her home, with a couple cookies, because Grandma insisted that Ally take more than the twenty we had already eaten.

"Bye Al," I waved from the driver's seat as she grabbed her bag.

"Yeah I'll see ya tomorrow." I waited for her to go through her front door before backing out of the driveway. I was in no hurry to go home. I didn't have any more homework to do, I didn't want to talk to grandma, and I didn't want to lock myself in my room again.

I didn't even realize where I was driving until I got to his street. I could see Vince's red barn over the evergreens. I couldn't decide who I wanted to talk to either, Vince or Justin.

I was so caught up in trying to figure that out, I didn't even realize that neither of them opened the door. Instead Charlotte stood in front of me. "Oh thank God you're here!" She moved back to let me in. "Neither of them will tell me what's going on." It wasn't exactly a question, but she still wanted an answer.

I wasn't going to give her that answer. "Call Ally, she'll tell you everything. Where's..." Who did I want to talk to?

"The basement," she decided for me.

I hesitated a moment, but Charlotte standing next to me forced my feet forward. The basement was pitch black. All the curtains had to be pulled to achieve that. I thought of turning on the lights, but I didn't want to announce my arrival. I peeked around the corner, but I couldn't see anyone.

"God Vince, can you be quieter coming down those stairs?" I froze at his words. It was the first time in a long time that he wasn't spitting words at me, but then again, he wasn't actually talking to me. I guess I, or Vince, didn't respond quickly enough because Justin sat up. All I could see was his silhouette. I don't know how he saw me in the dark corner, but he definitely did because his eyes bore into mine and I stood frozen like a deer in headlights.

"Sober?" I don't know how the word left my mouth, but I sent it out there and followed it to the couch, taking a seat on the opposite end.

"Hung over"

"Good, that means you can't yell at me."

Justin winced, grabbing his forehead, "more like I can't talk to you."

"Even better," I whispered this time, "I think you did more than enough talking last night and now it's my turn."

"I decided I don't want to hear about you and Vince," he sounded a bit defeated, but that might just have been the hangover.

"Where is Vince?"

"In the shower, I threw up on him earlier today and he refused to leave me alone until Charlie got home."

"You're not going to throw up on me, are you?" A ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. "How did you end up like this?"

"After my parents left this morning I took a bottle from the liquor cabinet and drank it on the bus ride to school."

"At least you didn't drink and drive."

"I'm not an idiot!" He winced again. "Well, maybe I am cus I didn't see what was happening between you and Vince."

It hurt a lot more to hear him call me a cheater when he was sober. "I still don't think you see it."

"I don't want to see anymore!" His voice was hushed, but harsh. "I really liked you Emma, and you liked Vince." He continued on, like he did the night before. Tears ran down my face as I tried to find something to say.

"I don't like Vince you idiot!" The first part I had meant to say, not yell like I did. The second part, I hadn't even thought until it left my lips. "I love you!"

Full Copyright 2014

Edited 8/12/15