Chapter 64

We must have sat in the woods for at least an hour. When we finally left, the little boy and his father were long gone. I hardly noticed the climb up the hill. We didn't speak at all, not when we walked to the car, not when Justin drove me home, and not even when he walked me into the house. He walked me all the way to my room and even tucked me into bed.

"Good night, Emma," Justin kissed my forehead.

"No," I reached to grab his hand. Our eyes met for the first time since I told him and, even in the dark, I had to look down. "Stay," I said drawing circles in his hand, but he didn't, he pulled his hand from mine and left. I nodded to myself, curling up in a ball. The tears began to leak out again. I knew this was a possibility. He was mad; it was understandable. I kept a huge secret from him for so long. I told myself this was better than him acting weird around me. He could have been like everyone else who talked in gentle voices around me.

I sniffled and then searched for my phone. It wasn't in my pocket, or even my night stand. Justin still had it. I got out of my bed hoping I could find Grandma's cell. I knew she would have Vince's number. She called him and Charlotte at least once a day to make sure everything was okay with their dad. I found it on the kitchen counter charging. I quickly unplugged it and brought it back to my room. I was lucky I had to teach Grandma how to navigate the phone otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to do it. I barely remembered how to use a non-touch screen phone and with shaky hands it wasn't any easier.

"Nana?" I had forgotten how late it was, but Vince's confused voice reminded me.

"Sorry, no it's me, Emma."

"What's wrong, Emma? Is Nana okay?" He shook off his sleepy state and quickly went to worried.

"Y-yeah, she's fine."

"Are you?" There was the stupid gentle tone again.

"I don't know, I told Justin. I told him everything."

"And?"

"He seemed to take it well at first, but then I don't know."

"Maybe he just needs time to process it all. It's a lot of information."

"You didn't need any time," I said that a bit louder than I wanted to. I was mad that he was taking Justin's side.

"That's because I kind of knew what it was like for you. He has no idea how hard this is for you."

"Why do I even care so much about what he thinks? Why couldn't this have been like telling President Maxwell about my parents? I didn't care if he talked to me in the patronizing way or even if he laughed in my face."

"You care because you care about him. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're in love with him. That's why you're such a wreck right now."

"I am not a wreck!" I didn't need to see Vince to know he was raising an eyebrow at me. "Okay, maybe I am a little."

"A little?" he laughed. "Where are you? Do you want me to come over?" I could hear shuffling in the background. No doubt he was already getting ready to come over.

"No, I'm home, you don't need to come." If I had waited five more seconds to answer, he probably would have already been in his truck.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, you should just get some sleep, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay, if it's any consolation, I'm proud of you for telling him, Emma. I know that was extremely difficult."

"Thanks, Vince"

"Hey, Emma?"

"Hmm?"

"Why are you on Nana's phone?"

"Oh, Justin has my phone."

I jumped when the sliding door opened. Nana's phone fell to the ground. I could see a shadow walk in, but I couldn't tell who was there. I silently wished I had stayed curled up and maybe the intruder wouldn't have seen me.

"Sorry," Justin's voice came from the shadow in front of the door. "I did knock." He kicked off his boots and took off his jacket coming to sit beside me on the bed. "A-are you crying?" I could hear Vince's voice coming through the phone. He was loud enough to probably wake up everyone in his house. Justin ignored the phone and reached to wipe the tears away. I leaned back not letting him touch me. I could tell he was confused and maybe even a little broken by the action.

I didn't let his reaction bother me. Instead I reached for the phone and quickly told Vince I had to go. He tried to ask what was going on and even said he was coming over, but I told him to go to bed and that I was fine. I was fairly confident he wouldn't come over, but that had more to do with his bed being warm and it being very cold outside.

"You're crying," Justin said again when I put the phone on the night stand. He didn't reach over again though.

I nodded. "I didn't think you were coming back." If Justin had been anywhere but right beside me, he probably wouldn't have been able to hear me.

Justin laughed. "I told you I was." I raised an eyebrow. "You asked me to stay and I nodded. I just had to bring the car home. If my dad woke up in the morning and the car wasn't there, he would have been livid." I think my face showed the change in my emotions. Justin pulled me to him and whispered into hair. "I never want you to cry because of something I did again."

I nodded and then pushed myself up to kiss him. He kissed me back despite the fact that tears still stained my face and we weren't exactly in the best position, but I couldn't care less and neither could he.

Justin pulled back first, but only an inch or two. He kept me held close to him, not that I had any complaints, he was quite warm. "Who was that on the phone?"

"Oh, Vince."

"I assume he knows everything?"

I nodded "Are you mad I didn't tell you earlier?"

"No," he said simply twirling a piece of my hair around his finger. "And you shouldn't be either. I saw how much it was beating you up that you couldn't tell me, and you know you can tell me anything and it won't change you and me, but if you can't, it's alright. I just want you to be happy." I smiled looking up at him.

"Don't worry, I have no more secrets. Well, not from you anyways. I still need to tell Charlotte and Ally and everyone."

"I'll be right beside you, if you want?"

"I'm never letting you leave my side again!"

"Works for me," he grinned back pulling me closer to him.

Author's Note:

In anticipation for my new story-the Harry Potter Fanfic-I will be updating One Way Bridge everyday til Friday. There goes my school work for the next week. Oh well!

Until Tomorrow,

Devin4862

Full Copyright 2015

Edited 8/12/15