Chapter 35

I was right; Ally freaked out when we told her the next day. "So guys," I told her, Vince, Caitlyn, and Charlotte the next day as we sat in the cafeteria before school. "Justin is my b-boyfriend." I stuttered over the last word, not having used it before when talking about Justin, or a relationship of my own for that matter, but I don't think anyone noticed besides Justin who took my hand in his and gave it a light squeeze.

"Eek!" Ally shrieked, but luckily Vince covered her mouth with a hand before she could completely make a scene.

I mouthed the words 'thank you,' to Vince while Justin spoke.

"Nana and my parents can't know," he looked straight at Ally knowing she would have the most trouble with this task.

"You do realize that means no one can know, because everyone talks in this town?" Charlotte pointed out. I looked at Justin who looked back at me before dropping my hand.

"Oh, no PDA for you!" Vince pushed his way between Justin and me and slung an arm over each of our shoulders.

"Oh go make out with your girlfriend." Justin pushed Vince's arm away. Vince just shrugged and pulled me in front of him, puckering his lips. Before I could even react, I felt a hand on my shoulder and next thing I knew, I was in Justin's arms. Both of his arms were wrapped around my shoulders from where he stood behind me. I looked up to see him glaring at Vince. "Not funny, Emma is my girlfriend, go kiss your own!"

Ally hit Vince over the back of the head before saying something to him in a hushed tone. "And by the way guys," she spoke up looking over at Justin and me, "I'd say that's PDA."

Justin released me and walked around our group so he was standing beside Charlotte. I laughed at him earning a wrinkled nose and stuck out tongue which of course made everyone else laugh. For the rest of the day, Justin would not be with me unless one of our other friends was with us. Even then, he'd make them walk in the middle of our trio.

He couldn't avoid sitting next to me in History however. We were presenting our group projects, so there wasn't much time to talk, and when there was, he made conversation with one of the boys sitting in front of us. I rolled my eyes at his attempts to stop the rumors.

We didn't talk in gym class either, but we were still playing basketball, so we didn't exactly have time to. Even the walk to my car was silent. It was that way until we had pulled out of the parking lot and Justin finally spoke, "Today was really weird right?"

I laughed, "Of course it was, you refused to talk to me!" My voice was light. "You know people can still think we're friends, right?"

"Sorry," a sheepish smile took over his face as he grabbed one of my hands.

I shook my head smiling along with him. "Are we going to hang out tonight?"

"Um," his smile fell. "I'd love to, but I can't. My mom and I are going to Vince's for dinner, unless you want to hang out late?"

"You know grandma wouldn't allow that," my smile had fallen at his words.

"I didn't say anything about telling Nana," I looked over at him as we waited in line to cross the bridge.

"Alright," I gave in to his sly smirk.

"Good," he squeezed my hand.

"I was thinking today, when you wouldn't talk to me," I threw in the last part just to bug him, "eventually we do have to tell everyone."

"Yeah, and I look forward to letting everyone know I am dating someone as amazing as you."

I blushed turning my face towards my window. "And when do you think we should do that?"