Chapter 46

Chapter 46

I felt a bit bad about turning down Justin’s offer to study with me, but I really didn’t have much time to think about it. The group met at five, so I had to hustle through my math homework and read for history. I don’t know how, but I had all my homework done and was out the door by four thirty. Grandma didn’t like how much I had to rush, but I couldn’t exactly skip.

At the church, I found the youth minister. Luckily I knew him, because on my first week he made sure to introduce himself. I wasn’t exactly sure whether or not that was Grandma’s doing.

“It’s great to see you again Emma!” He was a slightly overweight man who was always happy. Of course, he had nothing to worry about. He had the perfect family. His daughter, Sarah was only nine, yet she had mastered almost every instrument she could get her hands on. She played the piano during every mass, and from what I heard, she could also sing.

“It’s great to see you too, Mr. Schmitt.”

“How many times do I have to tell you to call me Marcus?” He crossed his arms like he was being stern, but had a smile on his face nonetheless.

“Sorry Marcus”

“It’s fine, now I must be the one to apologize. I see you have signed up to work with the eight to ten year olds, but it seems we have three volunteers for that group and only one for the eleven to thirteen year old. Would you mind terribly switching?”

“Of course I’ll switch Marcus,” his small smile turned into a grin.

“Perfect, Sarah!” he called his daughter who had been teaching her friends how to play hot cross buns on the piano. She hopped up and came running over.

“Yes daddy?” Her hands were folded behind her skirt and she rocked forward and back on her feet.

“Sarah, you mustn’t run in church. I shouldn’t have to remind you again.” I started to feel slightly awkward while Marcus reprimanded his daughter.

“Sorry father,” the young girl looked down at her dress shoes.

“It’s not me you must apologize to. This isn’t my house-”

“It’s God’s house, I know, I’ll add it to my reconciliation.”

“Good, now will you take Emma here down to the pre-teen room? And then you and your friends better take your seats.”

“Yes daddy,” Sarah took my hand and led to the stairs. In the basement there was one large room and about five smaller rooms along with a bathroom. The doors were aptly marked, so I really didn’t need Sarah to take to the room with a red piece of paper reading 10-13s taped to the door, but she did. In fact she opened the door and walked in. “Hi Vince,” she said to the boy with his back turned to me.

“Hey Sarah,” he turned around. He indeed was Vince. “And Emma,” his voice matched the surprised face. “What are you doing here?”

“Grandma volunteered me, because I didn’t go to church Sunday.” I shrugged. “You volunteer every week?”

“No, I just volunteered to work this week.” His eyes went from me to the young girl next to me.  “Sarah, you better get back upstairs.”

“Alright, bye Vince,” she waved and then skipped out the door.

“I think someone has a crush on you,” I smile at the thought.

“Yeah,” Vince laughed. “Ally thinks it’s adorable.”

“So what’s so special about this week?”

“No one told you?” Vince seemed honestly surprised. “This week’s topic is relationships. Marcus asked me to lead the discussion.”