Chapter 21

My luck was getting better as the afternoon got older. Justin didn't ask about my move again, instead he talked almost nonstop about the game that night while we walked to the gym. He introduced me to the gym teacher who said I didn't have to participate because I didn't bring gym clothes. This made me happy for two reasons, they were playing volleyball, which I'm not any good at, and I wouldn't have to get sweaty, because I was planning on taking a nap the moment I got home and I really didn't want to have to shower first.

I watched Justin play and went on Facebook on my phone. Justin was doing alright, but I could tell by the way he held his arms in pain that he didn't like volleyball. I saw him look over at me after he spiked the ball so I quickly ducked down to look at my phone. My wall was covered in posts from every one of my friends and some people who weren't my friends. Everyone wanted to say they were sorry or tell me to be strong. I rolled my eyes and signed out. The coach blew his whistle just as I was making a mental note to not tell anyone around here that I had a Facebook account. If they saw my wall, there would be no question as to why I moved.

I walked over to join the rest of my class as they formed a circle around coach. I never got why gym teachers were called coach at some schools, and this was one of them. "And that completes our volleyball unit!" My luck just kept getting better. There were a lot of content sighs and smiles. I have grown to learn that volleyball is either a sport people love or hate. "Next week we will go outside and play softball if the weather cooperates." This class was going to be my favorite if things kept going in my favor like this. "And the test will be a week from Monday." He quickly dismissed the class and I waited outside of the gym for Justin to change.

Who has tests in gym class? I thought while I waited. It seemed ridiculous. Justin walked out of the guys' locker room and smiled when he saw me. I returned the smile and walked alongside him to the car. I was exhausted and glad the day was over. Thank goodness I started school on a Friday and not a Monday, because at least I would get to sleep in the next day.

"Grandma, I'm home!" I called as I walked through the front door.

"Is Justin with you?" I kicked off my shoes and looked towards the stairs where her voice came from.

"Yeah," he refused to be dropped off at his house, saying that it was ridiculous to drive there when he could walk through our yards faster.

"Good," she came up the stairs and smiled at us. "I made some cookies to celebrate your first day! Sit down and I'll get them for you."

"Yum, but I'm going to drop my bag in my room first, okay?" I didn't wait for an answer instead I left through the living room to the short hallway and into my room. I was exactly as I left it that morning. There were pajamas on the ground and my bed was unmade. I grabbed the clothes, throwing them in the closet and shutting the door. Then I opened the curtains over the sliding door and made my bed. I went back to the kitchen hoping no one noticed my absence.

I took a seat next to a plate with a couple cookies on them and a tall glass of milk. My mood perked up at the smell of the chocolate chip cookies.

"You are so lucky, Emma, to live with Nana!" Justin told me after finishing his conversation with grandma. In fact I don't know where grandma was, she left us alone. "Most people don't live with their grandparents, but I imagine that those who do are spoiled."

"Maybe they're spoiled for other reasons," I thought of all the pity I had been getting.

"Why do you live with your grandma?"

Dang it, that's the question I was trying to avoid. "For the cookies of course!" I took a large bite of one of my cookies. Maybe he'll drop it.

"No, I mean, where are your parents?"

"Justin, I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay, some other time then. Do you want to go over to my house and watch a movie?"

I was thankful he didn't push the subject any further. "Sure, right after I finish this," I reached over and grabbed the cookie left on Justin's plate.

"Hey!" he reached to grab it back but I got up and ran out of the kitchen to my room. I could hear him behind me, so when he grabbed my arm I wasn't surprised. "My cookie," he held out a hand and I reluctantly gave it back. He smiled and broke it in half sharing the cookie with me.

"Thanks," I smiled and led him through the glass door and towards his house. He pushed the sliding door open with ease and walked in. "Are your parents home?"

"No, they're still at work." He shrugged as if it was normal.

"And you leave the house unlocked?"

"Yeah, everyone does! Come on, I have Netflix in my room." He led me to a rather large bedroom with a walk in closet and bathroom attached.

"Nice room"

"It used to be the master, but when we remodeled upstairs my parents made a huge room for themselves so I got this one." He plopped down on the bed and turned on the flat screen television. He quickly maneuvered to the Netflix homepage and then patted the spot next to him for me to sit down. I took the spot making the bed bounce more than was necessary. "What do you want to watch?"

"I don't care."

"That's helpful," he settled on a movie I'd never heard of and moved back so he was leaning against the wall. I did the same, but not ten minutes into the movie sleep started to overcome me. I shifted to a lying position. Just before I drifted away completely, I could feel someone gently rubbing my back. I smiled. Justin's so sweet.

Full Copyright 2013
Last Edited 2017

Author's note:

Yes, he is.

Happy belated Labor Day! I don't think it's much of an international holiday so for those of you who may be from outside of the US, happy Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on where you live.  Happy first day of school to whomever started today!

So I learned something interesting this weekend. My cousins, who live on a farm in the Midwest, host four holiday runs. There's the Memorial Day run (May), the Fourth of July run, the Labor Day run, and the Christmas Day run. Yeah, that's right they run on Christmas morning, outside, in the cold! Last year it was below freezing. They invite friends and neighbors to run 3, 4, or 6 miles! (3 miles is about 5k) They start at their mail box and run down the icy gravel road, which some years isn't even plowed. I told them I would participate if I could do a half mile option, which would be running to their mailbox. That idea was shot down so I told them I'd sleep in and to wake me up when we got to open presents. So, if I'm complaining about having to run around Christmas time, you'll know why.

Okay, back to this. Thanks for reading, have a great day.

Devin4862

PS someone comment! Tell me what you think!