Chapter 1

I look at myself in my floor length mirror and swirl around. I'm wearing a sleeveless floral blue dress that stopped mid-thigh, pairing it with black pumps. My hair's in a bun and my face has been lightly adorned with eyeliner, mascara, and red lipstick. I don't usually like wearing red lipstick; but, today is a special day. I look at myself in the mirror on my dresser once more to check my makeup then spray my favorite perfume.

"That should do it." I tell my reflection then hurry downstairs.

My family and I make our way to the main pack house. 

Being the Beta's daughter, the pack wanted to give me a big birthday bash and I can't be more thankful than how I already am. My dad, being Alcmene's Beta, is the right-hand man of the Alpha, who is the pack leader. He supports the Alpha by overseeing internal activities and stepping in when the Alpha is unavailable. Hence, he's pretty popular and well-respected by everyone in the pack.

Being with my family and our pack made me very proud of being a lupi; even though, technically, we originated from a tragedy – the cursed bloodline of Lupi. Based on what I learned from Lupiologos, which is the study of the history and nature of the cursed bloodline of Lupi, our forefather, Lupi, prompted the original sin of wrath which caused his bloodline to suffer an irrevocable curse. Most tales call us 'werewolves' since we have a lyall, or our 'wolf' soul, as they say; but, we simply call ourselves lupis.

It's a blessing for us lupis to know our exact birth date and time. Unlike humans who celebrate their birthday at the time of delivery, we celebrate ours at the time of our conception. Also, we have special years when we reach certain stages of physical and mental growth, far more extraordinary than those of normal humans'.

Turning seven's important to us. It's the time when our lyall can finally connect with our conscious mind. Before that, they just stay in our subconscious. Our connection with our lyall also triggers our connection with the pack's vinclum, or what's more popularly known as the 'mind link'.

The time of my connection with my lyall was how we knew my exact birth details. Before that, we just celebrated my birthday on the date my parents adopted me, which is actually three months later than my real birthday.

To say that the first time I got connected with my lyall and the pack's vinclum was painful would be an understatement. It felt like my whole body was on fire. Imagining thousands of needles piercing your veins is probably the best description if I am asked to share my experience. To say it simply, it was excruciating for a child.

On the other hand, turning sixteen – our matura – is also very important to us. The females' bodies become ready for mating while the males become able to shift into muto or our wolf form. Consequently, a male lupi cannot identify his mate until she is of age and a female lupi will be able to shift into muto only after being marked by her mate.

A lot of people greet me as we make our way inside the house. I continue walking around the house, having short conversations with the pack whenever someone greets me.

In an instant, my heart begins pounding loudly at the sight of my 'dream mate'.

Dark copper brown hair neatly combed back, showing the 5 o'clock shadow over his sexy jaw (that I so want to bite) even more; he's wearing a black dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and dark wash jeans.

Can he be any more mouthwatering than that?

The moment our eyes meet, he immediately walks towards me. When he reaches me within an arm's reach, it can be clearly seen how he, being 6'2", towers over my figure of 5'6".