Chapter 4 - Change

I could see into it's mind again, I watched it's movements and I followed it's thoughts.

"I am the creature." said logic.

"No, no, I am NOT the creature!" rallied my heart.

"But how can I see into it's mind?" Logic obviously wanted to put up a fight.

"How can you be sure it has a mind?"

Logic paused. "I can't." my heart had won, but my mind still wandered.

It staggered forwards through the dark streets. It was nearly midnight as it turned down a road that I DEFINITELY recognised. Saul's house. Let me tell you something, there are friends, good friends, best friends and then there's Saul. I practically grew up with him. I met him on the day I was born and I have never regretted meeting him. My other friends would bail me out of prison but he would be standing next to me saying: "Damn, we screwed up." Actually, thy probably wouldn't bail me out, because they're all arseholes.

Anyway, was this a dream or real life? "Well, there is the possi-" started logic.

"Shut up." was my heart's reply.

"I was only going to say that-"

"SHUT UP."

"Fine."

As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, it was heading in the direction of Saul's house. Many happy memories there...

I was me again, I got up and then collapsed with my hands in the sink. Beads of sweat dripped down my face.

The creature or whatever it was smashed down the front door. It - "Or I?" "Shut up." - silently devoured his parents and his sister. The last person it went for was Saul.

It opened the door, and suddenly I was in Saul's mind. That meant I wasn't the creature, which was a small relief. He opened his eyes, and his pupils dilated. He heard a moan as he say up, and whipped his eyes towards the doorway, in which stood a zombie. I nearly shat Saul's pants. (Note to self - zombies can use door handles.)

His eyes darted around his room, from item to item, trying to find a weapon. Not his laptop, the wires would get in the way. Books? No, he would never get there in time. His electric guitar... No, not Nigella, she's too precious... But his old guitar? 'Fuck it.' he thought.

He jumped out of bed, grabbed it, spun around on the floor and whacked the zombie's head clean off. Blood splattered everywhere, chunks of brain and rotting flesh flew across the room. And I woke up.

----------

A white flash, and a burning sensation in my head. I was back at home. And I could see blood. It was flowing through the cracks under the doors of my brothers' rooms. It wasn't a dream. I didn't want to check any closer, but at that moment, I got a phone call from Becca.

"Liam,"

"What?" I answered with a mixture of anger, sadness and anxiety.

"Are you ok?"

"I just watched the entirety of mine and Saul's families slaughtered through the eyes of the creature killing them, I'm now an orphan, I'm having visions, and massive migraines. Also, in one of my visions, Saul took a zombie's head clean off. So yes, I'm absolutely hunky-fucking-dory."

"There's something I need to tell you."

"What?" I repeated.

"It's about something called ARK. We need you to join us. Saul will too. I'm coming to pick you up, I'll be there in a few minutes."

She hung up. What exactly would one pack in these circumstances? My phone and iPad I guess, a charger, a few books and a change of clothes. I searched the room for anything else, and my eyes fell on my camera and some photos of my past. I took them too, put everything in a bag, and then went downstairs and proceeded to sharpen a knife. I didn't have the heart (pardon the bloody pun (and again)) to see my family's remains, but I whispered a quick prayer in their honour. God speed.

Becca arrived with Saul as promised a few minutes later, with a woman driving. She couldn't have been older than 21 or 22. Saul stared blankly into space. I threw my bag into the boot of the car (it was a Renault Espace, just like my mum's car) and climbed into the car.

"Where are we going?" I asked Becca, making sure my knife was securely in the pocket on the back of the seat in front of me.

"Heathrow. We need to catch a plane."

"Where to?" inquired Saul.

"You'll see." After that, none of us spoke another word.