Chapter 22

Margo finally stopped in the middle of the woods. She collapsed onto her knees and began to sob. What felt like an eternity passed before she heard the crunching of leaves. A pair of strong arms wrapped around her from behind.

"He's wrong you know," an all too familiar voice broke the silence.

"But he's not wrong. My dad didn't want me and my mom's not here anymore. Nobody thinks we're family. You hear all the snide comments and rude remarks. Everyone still sees me as the little orphan girl," Margo whispered, her breathing calmed and the sobs came to a stop.

"Mom doesn't. Dad doesn't. I don't. That's what matters, chéri. And come on, since when do you care what other people think of you?" he asked, "you've always been so confident in yourself."

"Because I'm not Ben, not on the inside. Not when people imply I'm not a Beast. Not when people make comments about me being on the tourney team. Not when people tell me I should behave like a lady. Why should I be who I am if no one likes the real me?"

"Hey, don't talk about my sister like that," Ben said as he made his way around to face her. He grabbed her hands in his. "People do like the real you. Me, Mal, Evie, Jay, Carlos, Doug, Lonnie. We like the real you. The you who's there for us. The you who stands up for the others. The you who tells bad jokes. The you who's not afraid to get her hands dirty. The you who doesn't let other people's opinions stop her from doing what she loves. That's who you are. Got it?"

"I love you, Benji," she said as the two stood and enveloped each other in a hug. Ben tucked Margo's head beneath his chin.

"I love you too, Marge."

"Don't call me Marge."

"Then don't call me Benji."

"Eh, it's worth it," she stated as she smiled up at her brother. "Oh my Auradon!" she pulled away. "I need to go check on the VK's!" she yelled as she ran back towards the school.

A/N
I've changed the nickname Ben uses in this chapter at least a million times because I couldn't quite find the right one😂 I decided on chéri, which means darling in french. Since Belle and Adam were french, I figure they taught it to their kids.