Chapter 15

"Okay, easy on the blush. I don't want to scare him away. Not that I could," Mal commented as Evie did her makeup.

"Please, my mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk. Always use upward strokes," Evie responded.

"My mom was never really big on makeup tips. I never had a sister," Mal said sadly.

"Well, now you have two," Margo stated while doing Mal's hair.

Evie spoke up again, "We're going to need all the family we can get if we don't pull this off," Margo assumed that Evie was just being dramatic about the date, "My mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way. Just ask Snow White."

"Are you afraid of her?" Mal asked.

"Sometimes. Are you afraid of your mom?"

"I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her. And she, yeah, she's my mom, so I know she loves me, in her own way."

"I know what you mean," Margo cut in. The girls with her looked over with confused expressions.

"But your parents are the 'good guys'," Evie said.

"They may be the 'good guys', but they're still people. They still make mistakes and lose their temper sometimes. Plus, don't tell anyone, but Dad still has some serious anger issues. It's not always roses and sunshine on this side of the bridge."

"Moving on, come see," Evie attempted to lighten the mood.

"Are we done?" Mal questioned.

"Yeah,"

"Oh," Mal admired her reflection in the mirror.

"I know,"

"I look,"

"Say it," Margo prompted.

"Not hideous,"

"Not even close," Mal's friends spoke in unison.

"So, I have a few ideas on your outfit for your date with Carlos," Evie was very excited for her friends, especially knowing there was no love cookie involved.

"I already know what I'm wearing," Margo stated and walked into the bathroom. She put on her favorite green flannel pajama pants and a dark grey top. She put her bright curls into a ponytail and walked out of the bathroom.

"Why are you wearing pajamas?" Mal asked, while Evie just gave a look of disappointment and disbelief.

"Why in the world are you wearing pajamas?!" Evie was near yelling, disappointed she didn't get to doll her up.

"I told Carlos to wear pajamas too. I know it's not your typical first date but, really, what about me is typical?" Margo chuckled.

They then heard a knock on the door. Mal opened it to see Ben. He stuttered for a moment before saying, "for the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful. I hope you like bikes," he held up their helmets as they walked off for their date.