48) Meet Cute

The rain came down like bullets, not exactly caring who they hit as long as they hit someone. Mycroft Holmes seemed to be a very popular victim that day as he marched through the streets of London. God how he wished he had an umbrella.

He wasn't really sure where he was going as long as it was far away from his office. The day had not been a good one and through some lapse in judgement he thought that a walk might help clear his mind. Then it started raining.

With a heavy sigh, and the desperate desire to no longer be poured apon so relentlessly, he stepped into the nearest public house.

"So this is what a pub looks like..." He mumbled quietly to himself as he took in his surroundings. It occurred to him that he'd never actually seen the inside of a pub before so this was quite the experience for him. He observed that a few other people in the room, dressed in fine business attire, were in much the same situation as he was. They were all silently sipping drinks that they'd only bought to be polite, always something light like lemonade.

There were some slightly more relaxed looking people around as well who generally wore damp flat caps and soggy fleeces. They had a casual air about them, it settled Mycroft a little to see that not everyone in here looked ready to bolt as soon as the rain passed.

One man though looked like he was part of the furniture. He was sat on his own at the bar in the corner, staring absentmindedly into his beer whilst he leant against the wall to his right. Something about this man made Mycroft want to talk to him, he wasn't sure why, and he wasn't sure that he liked it.

"One, um, sparkling water...? Please." Mycroft uttered, sliding onto the bar stool next to this mysterious man. The bar tender raised an eyebrow but got the drink anyway.

Now that he was closer he took the time to examine the man next to him more closely. His most noticable feature was his striking silver hair.

But the silver-haired man seemed to not notice him at all. He just looked empty. "Is there a reason you're staring at me?" The man asked, not taking his eyes off his drink.

Mycroft was a little ashamed to admit that he was startled to hear the man speak, but he recovered quickly. "I was trying to figure out what you find so interesting about the drink in front of you."

"Hm? Oh, sorry, I must have spaced out." The guy said, shaking his head quickly to snap himself out of his daydream. Then he looked at Mycroft, right into his eyes. "Do I know you?"

"No, no I'm sorry, we don't know each other. I hope you don't find me rude, you just looked upset."

"Did I? And you wanted to try and help me? Well aren't you just a regular hero." The man teased, a small mischievous smile finding his lips. "I'm just tired is all. Been a long day."

Mycroft wasn't sure why but seeing this man smile made him feel warm inside. He still wasn't sure if he liked it or not but he was starting to figure it out. "Well then perhaps you should go home and get some rest."

The silver-haired man barked a laugh which made his eyes light up for just a fraction of a sceond. "Yeah, perhaps you're right." He replied, downing the rest of his drink before getting up off the stool and heading for the door.

As he went to leave Mycroft searched his mind for anything he could say just to get to talk to this man just a little bit longer but the guy was already gone. He sighed shortly before noticing that the man had left his umbrella sitting by the side of the stool so he grabbed it and quickly headed outside.

"Damn, it's still raining?" Mycroft heard the silver-haired man grumble as soon as he stepped outside the door.

"Excuse me, you left your umbrella."

The man looked blankly over at him. "Oh, did I? I forgot I even brought the ruddy thing." He replied, sighing. "You know what, keep it. If you want to that is. I don't need it but you look like you could use it."

"Really?" Mycroft asked. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, no worries mate. I'm Greg Lestrade by the way." The man said, offering his hand for Mycroft to shake.

"Mycroft Holmes." He replied, shaking hands with Greg Lestrade.

Greg smiled once again. A happy, genuine smile that reached his eyes. The smile that warmed Mycrofts heart. "Alright, Mycroft, I'll see you around." Then he was gone.

Mycroft had made up his mind. He did like the feeling he got from this man. He liked the feeling he got from Greg Lestrade.