16) Waste It On Me

Greg Lestrade had been called into the office of a certain government official for the second time in a week. The first time was to discuss a particular consulting detective and his latest hospital visit, something that Greg had cursed himself for not being able to stop.

Now he was stood, as he often was, in front of the desk of Mycroft Holmes, the older brother of said consulting detective. Greg couldn't figure out exactly why Mycroft insisted on meeting in person, but it wasn't surprising that it was always him who had to put in the 'leg work'.

He also wasn't sure if Mycroft ever actually noticed he was there, he just seemed to speak. Never once looking up from his desk, or adressing Greg directly.

They didn't discuss any exciting, not that they ever discussed anything, Mycroft talked and Greg listened, that wasn't a discussion.

The abnormality came when Mycroft had finished speaking, at that point Greg would usually nod and leave but he hadn't this time, he was still there.

Mycroft looked up and gave him an expectant look. "Is there something else?"

There was something else, there had always been something else, Greg was just too afraid to ask. Well not this time, this time he wasn't going to be afraid.

"Would you uh- Would you, maybe, if you have the time, um-"

"Would I what?" Mycroft interrupted with a raised eyebrow. Maybe 'not going to be afraid' was a strong term.

"Would you like to have dinner with me sometime?"

There was silence for a second, both men just looked at each other. Greg felt like Mycroft was looking right through him, like maybe he was trying to guess whether Greg's motives were sincere.

After a while Mycroft answered, his cheeks were ever so slightly lighter. "Love, detective inspector, is nothing more than just a waste of my time."

"Then waste it on me." Greg had come this far already, might as well go all out.

There was another round of silience between them. Greg felt like he was getting everywhere and nowhere at the same time, like he was making progress but also staying in exactly the same place as well. It didn't help that Mycroft didn't show how he was feeling externally, apart from maybe a slight blush, it could have just been the lighting though. Maybe Greg's eyes were playing tricks on him.

"Ok." Mycroft finally answered. "Dinner sounds nice."

Greg grinned, relieved that this hadn't gone as badly as he thought it could have done. "Dinner it is then."

"Where are we going? And when?"

"Oh I- I didn't think about that." Greg rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

Mycroft had a ghost of a smile on his lips, it was a fond smile, like he'd almost expected that answer. "I suppose that means I'll have to give you my phone number so we can sort out the details."

"Well you don't have t-" Greg looked up from the floor to see the look on Mycroft's face. "Oh- OH, yes, please, that would be good."