"dr. webber has way more experience, and this is gonna be a complicated procedure," cristina turns to derek.

"well, both of you have been up for the past forty eight hours straight," derek reminds them. "this is a liability issue. hands off the patient. dr. webber?"

"ugh. fine," lia groans, handing the equipment to dr. mcqueen, and walking out.

"enjoy your nap," alex falsely smiles at cristina.

■ ■ ■

"you don't have to do this, you know?" lia tells cristina as they watch alex tend to mr. vanderburg from behind a monitor in the hallway.

"i want to," cristina insists.

"he's the chief of surgery," lia reminds her.

"and that heart is the size of a football," cristina points out as they watch alex leave the patient's room. "oh, oh, he's leaving."

"okay, go. go now," lia instructs, and cristina quickly paces over to the patient's room.

"mrs. vanderburg, i'm dr. yang, and i'm- i'm so sorry to hear about your husband's accident," cristina greets the patient's wife.

"are you one of his doctors?" mrs. vanderburg asks.

"oh, i'm not, but i'm familiar with his case, and i just wanted to assure you that everyone here is doing everything they can for him," cristina smiles.

"that's so nice," mrs. vanderburg nods.

"i'm sure they've assembled a- a wonderful group of surgeons," cristina assures. "dr. webber really is the best there is."

"w- wait. no. i don't think they mentioned a webber," mrs. vanderburg shakes her head. "no, they said something about a dr. mcqueen. is that right? is he good, too?"

"dr. mcqueen?" cristina repeats, raising her voice an octave. "oh, uh, sure. he's... he's fine."

"fine?" mrs. vanderburg grows concerned.

"well, he's- he's an experienced surgeon, but he's not the head of the department. doctor... dr. webber is the head of the department," cristina explains. "you know, i- with the extent of your husband's injuries, i just- look, i just assumed she was on the case. but... i'm sure there's nothing to worry about. dr. webber probably wasn't available anyway. she's very busy these days... saving lives."

■ ■ ■

"hello, julia," derek says in a slightly deeper voice, approaching mark at the nurses station.

"what is this?" mark turns to derek with his brow furrowed.

"i'm you. you're julia. go with it," derek explains with a chuckle before proceeding. "you know, i've been thinking, it's been a really great few months, and i just want you to know that i love you."

"get out of my relationship," mark scolds, raising his voice slightly.

"funny coming from you," derek chuckles. "what's your problem? she's smart and pretty and funny and- and she's not annoying."