Chapter 16

Thomas O' Brien

London

 Thomas was sitting in the same cafe named 'The Glade' blowing steam of his camomile tea. Alby was sitting next to him sipping coffee. They were discussing the things that Ava said. Alby was listening to his friend who is currently talking about the sass of the older woman.

"Wait, what?" Alby asked because Thomas just told the whole Rosewood hotel and the brunch scene to him. "Was she like, 'You will never be enough for my son'?" Alby asked again in a deep intimidating voice. "Or she was like 'You-" he pointed head to toe at Thomas. "You will never be enough for my son?'" his tone was like snobbish.

"It's like the second one," Thomas explained sighing. Alby's reaction was 'Oh'. "Except in a way like made me want to cry and puke in the same time."

"Gosh, she's so bad ass."

"Bet, if you told her you'd leave Newt for a million pounds, she will write that check. They do that around here."

"She looked at me like I was nothing," Thomas said and sighed at the truth of the statement.

"Like a 10 million pound check. I feel like she would certainly do that," Alby commented nodding his head at his own comment.

"I don't even know what I should do. I mean, I can't even tell Newt because he worships her," Thomas explains the predicament of the whole situation he is facing.

"Yeah, English sons think their mom's fart Chanel No. 5," Alby said. "What about the Nana? She hates your face too?" he asks.

"Nobody said they hated my face and Nana said she likes me," Thomas answered stirring the cup of tea.

"That's great!" Alby whisper-yells. "Ava can hate your guts all day long, but she can't compete with the real true queen of that household."

"I feel like I should not even go to the wedding," Thomas lets his insecurities out. "You know, it's Minho's and Miyoko's day. I don't want to cause any drama there. I feel like I should just sit it out or tell Newt I had food poisoning or something," his head tilts down in despair. Alby narrows his eyes at his best friend. "What?"

"That's bull shit. You're just scared!"

"I am not," Thomas lied.

"Alright, here's what you need to understand," he made Thomas listen. "It's not getting Ava to like you. It's getting Ava to respect you. Got it?" Alby clarifies Thomas' problem. Thomas slices the sandwich in front of him with bread knife and shoves the piece into his mouth. "Right now, she just thinks you're some undeserving, clueless, gold-digging-"

"Okay, okay, I got it," Thomas tries to stop his friend's insult but it was unsuccessful.

"-trashy, little bitch" Thomas finally listens carefully at Alby. "But in reality, you're a super sophisticated, smart, honor student of freaking psychology. Show that side of you, you know?" he returns the tattered confidence of Thomas and adds more.

"Yeah, you're right."

"Yeah, you know I'm damned right. I'm Alby, I'm always right," Alby said.

"She's trying to play the game of chicken with me. She coming right at me, thinking I'm going to swerve like a chicken," Thomas bites the inside of his cheek.

"But you can't swerve," Alby corrected raising a finger.

"I'm not going to swerve not for her. No."

"Chickens are bitches, dude!"

"And I'm a chicken," Thomas said finally gathering the confidence he lacks.

"You're not a chicken. You're going to roll up that wedding and be like 'bwak bwak bitch!'" Alby advice.

"Bwak bwak bitch!" Thomas repeated.

"Chickens are bitches!" Alby yelled. Everyone outside the cafe looked at them. "Sorry everyone." Then he face Thomas and said, "Let's get you respected."