Was he really that easily convinced? Or was I an amazing liar? Or did he know who it was and was doing some sort of reverse psychology where I feel so guilt-ridden I confess?

I stared at his face for a couple of seconds, trying to determine which question matched his current state.

He looked back at me, "You only really hang out with Rose don't you? Has it always been you two?"

"Uh.. yeah it has, I'm not that fond of humans to be honest," I don't know why I felt so nervous.

He laughed, "I can tell, you almost kill Brody daily,"

"I mean he is the bane of my life and probably one of the reasons why I hate humans," and one of the reasons why I like them, "But he's not that bad I guess,"

He gasps in mock shock, "Ivy, are you saying you don't mind Brody?"

"He's alright," I say sheepishly, trying to deflect from the fact I think he's more than alright but how messed up would that be admitting that to him.

"I guess I like that you don't swoon after him, it's refreshing actually, I'm kinda sick of everyone licking the ground he walks on," He sighs, "I mean what does he do to get all this special treatment? He isn't saving lives for gods sake"

What was this? Was Ryan jealous? It sure as hell sounded like it. It never occurred to me that Ryan could have some resentment towards his step brother, they always seemed so close.

"Um yeah, I know what you mean. He isn't a god." I laughed awkwardly like the kind of laugh you make when your uncle tries to crack a funny joke. I didn't like his tone when he spoke about Brody, but if I said anything he'd catch onto my feelings and I couldn't have that.

Ryan was oblivious, "What happened to the cat videos?"

I quickly grabbed my phone and nodded so much my head rattled, "Yeah, of course, cat videos,"

I scrolled through YouTube trying not to squirm under the intensity of his stare boring into the side of my face. I went to speak to kill the awkward silence that had followed but before I could even form the words I felt lips crash into mine.

It was so fast and so unexpected that I felt myself fall back into the chair. It took a moment for me to realize what was happening. His fingers tangled into my hair gripping a little harder than I liked and his lips were wet and desperate. I tried to follow his movements but they were so disjointed I couldn't keep up. His teeth clipped mine. His hand "accidentally" skimmed my chest and I barely had any room to breathe.

I wanted to enjoy it, I really did but all I could think about was how strange it felt. I didn't feel that fire in my chest with Ryan like I did with someone else. It was just all over the place.

How could someone so beautiful kiss so terribly?

The phone ringing in the background was my saving grace. I quickly slipped from Ryan's grasp taking a few deep breaths to replace the ones he had stolen and scurried to the phone.

"Hello?" I breathed, glancing at Ryan to see his cheeks flushed and his hand flattening the chaos that had formed on the top of his head. I buried my face into the phone hoping he couldn't see my expression and realize how mortified I was.

"Ivy it's Rose," The voice on the other end sounded small and nothing like my best friend.

"Rose? What's up?"

"Can I come over tonight? I need to talk to you,"

It was more of a statement than a question and I felt myself panic.

Did she know?

Surely she couldn't. There's no way she would know other than if Brody told her and he would never do that.

"Yeah sure you can," I tried to keep my voice steady but it ended up sounding strained. The anxiety her potentially knowing caused me to feel like I was going to crap myself.

"Great I will see you later,"

And then she hangs up.

I gulped. The way she sounded on the phone could only mean one thing. She knew. She bloody knew and that stupid idiot big-headed cheese for brains toad looking mother f-

"All good?-Ow,"

I suddenly jumped flinging my arm out and smacking Ryan in the face. Halfway through the call he must have moved from his seat and hovered behind me without me realizing.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry," I cringed as he held a hand to his nose and his eyes watered.

"It's fine, don't worry," His voice was muffled from where his hand was over his face.

"After that movie you know you shouldn't creep up on me like that," I scolded, "Do you need anything? Ice? A bandage?"

"There is one thing," He said the corners of his mouth reaching up into a smile.

"And what's that?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"