CHAPTER ONE: High profile

Lyn's phone buzzed on the table beside her. She reached over and picked it up, swiping the message on the screen. 

Driver request. High profile. Confidentiality required. 

She glanced at the clock. Sure, why not. She could use the extra income from a job right now, and confidentiality was never an issue. It was why she usually got the rare high profile clients; she could be trusted. She quickly replied to accept the job and went to get ready.

A few hours later, she was pulling up to the private pick-up location at the airport. Must be somebody really high profile. They don't usually have a confidential pick-up location.

She quickly hopped out as she saw a man approaching the car. He was wearing a hat pulled down low and dark sunglasses. He was slightly bent over as he walked, his head down and his shoulders hunched up toward his ears. He had a large duffel bag slung over his shoulder.

Lyn smiled to herself. The typical pose of a celebrity trying to be incognito. Only someone from out of state and trying to be incognito would be wearing sunglasses after dark in the middle of winter in Minnesota. Lyn popped open the trunk and reached out, offering to take his bag.

"Oh, it's okay. I got it," he mumbled.

"I really don't mind," Lyn answered. "It kind of goes with the job." She smiled, motioning with her hand for him to hand it over.

He stopped and hesitated for a moment, a bemused smile on his face.

"Really," she said. "Trust me. We Minnesota girls are tough. I think I can handle it."

He laughed and shrugged as he slid the bag off his shoulder. "If you insist." He flashed her a wide smile.

Lyn startled a little. The voice, the smile, the laugh - I would know them anywhere. Eli Colton. She smiled and laughed in return, giving no indication she recognized him.

"I do insist," she said as she lifted the duffel bag into the trunk.

"Alright if I open the door myself?" he asked as he grinned at her, gesturing to the rear door.

"Knock yourself out," she answered.

Eli tipped his head back and laughed as he opened the door and climbed in the back seat. Lyn closed the trunk and hurried around to the driver's side. She glanced up at him in the rear view mirror as she sat down.

"So, where to? I'm afraid I wasn't given any details beyond where to show up and when."

"Well I'm very glad you did. I would have died of hypothermia out here," he grinned. He pulled out a paper and handed it to her. Lyn glanced at it. Of course. The Blu. The fanciest 5-star in town.

"Got it. Now buckle up. A woman driver on icy roads. Yikes, you must be terrified." She laughed as she smiled at him in the mirror.

Eli laughed. "I have a feeling I'm in perfectly capable hands. Though I must ask... is it always this cold here? I think I froze solid when I stepped off the plane."

Lyn chuckled. "No, most days aren't this cold." She paused and then grinned. "They're usually a lot colder. Today is balmy by Minnesota standards. It's above zero. It's practically shorts weather!"

Eli shivered. "Tough Minnesota girl, indeed."

They spent the drive just casually chatting as Lyn drove. The conversation was relaxed and easy. They mostly talked about Minnesota – the brutal winters, the lakes, outdoor activities, the Mall of America.