Chapter 8

Fatima's House

Friday, 19 September

18.30hrs

I held Fatima tightly in my arms as she buried her head into my shoulder, my left hand wrapped around her shoulder and my right hand held behind the back of her burgundy Hijab accompanied by a silky black headscarf.

Soukaina, Yasmina and Yusuf stood at the entrance of the front door with their hand luggage by their sides, watching as we said our farewells to each other.

I felt Fatima's arms squeezed tightly around my waist I started to worry if she might be applying too much pressure to her belly and to Nahla between us. I leaned back to cup her cheek in my left hand, gently caressing the surface of her skin with my thumb.

Fatima's eyes turned down for a moment, afraid of becoming too emotional at the farewell. I smiled warmly at her.

'Have a safe trip, OK?' I said softly.

She nodded her head.

'Thanks, I'll be sure to,' she replied.

'Make sure to keep up-to-date on your checkups with the baby,' I added.

Fatima snorted in response, cupping my cheek with her hand.

'I will, I promise.'

I smiled at her before planting a long and loving kiss on her lips followed by another hug. Soukaina slowly walked up to us in the living room.

'We'll return on October the 3rd so she'll be back in time for your birthday,' she added reassuringly.

'All right,' I replied with a nod. 'I hope your mother feels better soon, Soukaina.'

Soukaina smiled as she put her hand to her daughter's shoulder. It was time for them to leave now.

They had a long journey ahead of them driving up by car in Sufian's CR-V all the way to the ferry terminal in Tarifa, which was the closest and cheapest route to Morocco and then he would have to drive all the way back with Ikram after dropping them off.

They had a good hour's journey, depending on the traffic to get there, and their ferry was booked for around 20.15 so the farewells had to be quick.

'I'll see you in two weeks,' I said planting a kiss on her head. 'I love you.'

Fatima gave one last squeeze to my arm as I held her.

'I love you too.'

She let go and picked up her small purple hand luggage by her leg and turned towards her family, joining them by the corridor to the front door.

We all stepped out as Soukaina locked the front door and handed the key to Sufian, making our way to the lift once everything was secured. From her block we went directly to the car parked along the pavement on Line Wall Road just above Irish Town.

Sufian loaded up his wife's and Soukiana's luggage into the boot of his white Honda CR-V whilst I helped load up Fatima's and Yusuf's luggage. With everything loaded I closed the boot of the car and gave one last farewell since it was just me they had to say goodbye to over here.

Once in Tarifa they'd all exchange their own farewells to each other.

'That's everything,' I said. 'Have a safe journey, all of you.'

They each gave a smile and Soukaina and Yasmina came in for a goodbye hug, followed by Yusuf who I crouched down to embrace in my arms.

'Bye Kyle,' he said softly.