Chapter 3

Airport, Gibraltar

Sunday, 31 August 2014

9.35hrs

Daniel and I stood in front of the gate for the "arrivals" alongside his parents, Alison and Clive Olivero, watching as the crowds of people walked through the terminal, pushing their trolleys of suitcases and carrying their bags and hand luggage.

We were fortunate to get a parking outside the airport, so I was relieved we wouldn't have to travel far if Chris brought a massive suitcase – in the events he was actually planning to permanently stay here.

'He should be coming through soon,' said Clive looking at his wristwatch.

'Just be calm when he comes through, darling,' Alison urged, squeezing her husband's left arm stood beside him.

Clive merely scoffed in response.

Daniel's dad was pretty strict, and more so on Chris due to his attitude and behaviour.

The discussion between Daniel and his parents just on the way here in their Honda CR-V wasn't the most pleasant, and Clive's outrageous thoughts to Chris opting to drop university just left me wondering how much Daniel had to endure privately.

I was glad Fatima didn't have to come because I could only imagine the arguments to come once Chris stepped through the gate.

I turned my head over to Daniel on my right.

'So you think you can convince him not to drop?'

Daniel shrugged his shoulders, keeping his arms folded and eyes fixed on the people walking through the gate.

'I hope so, because it would be a real shame if he did. He's got potential in Computing, and he'd be guaranteed a job anywhere with it.'

I nodded my head in agreement.

'If he thinks he's going to drop out and not be forced to get a job, he can think twice,' Daniel's dad added very abruptly.

'Well, let's see what he says when her gets here, Dad,' replied Daniel, attempting to diffuse the tension.

Clive certainly had a short tempter, that was very clear, but the delinquent and rebellious behaviour of their young eighteen year old son certainly hadn't helped to keep it in check over the years.

Sometimes I think Chris got off on pissing off his dad and it never ended well when Clive lost his tempter – so much for God's love teaching inner peace.

'I think I see him,' pointed out Alison, 'He's... is he being escorted by a security guard?' Alison asked with her eyes shot wide open.

We focused in on the two individuals approaching the arrival gate, consisting of a young delinquent eighteen year old wearing an annoyed expression and a middle aged airport security guard wearing an equally annoyed and frustrated expression, escorting Chris as he pushed his trolley holding his luggage case and leather biker jacket on top which matched the white t-shirt and light blue ripped jeans he wore.

Aside from the major character differences between Daniel and Chris, having the same green coloured eyes even, physically they almost looked identical were it not for Chris's medium length hair being brunette compared to Daniel's blonde medium length hair.

Clive rolled his eyes in annoyance at the sight as he dropped his folded arms and proceeded towards the two approaching us.

'Off to a good start, eh?' I muttered at Daniel.

Daniel shook his head slowly, glaring towards the scene as we both walked up to join his father. Chris's expression quickly turned from anger to relief when he spotted us stood close to the gate as he hurried up his pace pushing his trolley.