23

"What do you think it's going to be?" Miku asked excitedly.

  "I hope a girl." You responded.

  She down the final piece of furniture in the room. She smiled, "The nursery looks great!"

  The two of you had just added the final touches to the nursery that would soon have a sleeping baby in it. You painted it gray and decorated it with a bunch of little pictures of cartoonish baby elephants. The room was filled with cream and gray colors instead of just pink or blue. After all, you had no idea what the baby was at all.

  You sighed, "It's a bummer I never went to go get an ultrasound." You wiped the little sweat that lingered in your forehead.

"Yeah," Miku saw you quickly take a seat on the rocking chair. She noticed how tired you were. "Do you want some juice?"

You nodded, "Sure."

She went downstairs to the kitchen, and you got up and followed. You sat down as she poured you a glass of red juice from the glass pitcher. She handed it to you, "Drink up."

You took a sip, and you always noticed the taste of metal in your mouth or how thick the liquid was. Miku always told you to mix the drink a little before consuming it, but it had little to no effect. You looked up at her, "The taste is a lot more gross today."

  She exhaled softly, "It's good for both you and the baby."

  "It's not as sweet as it usually is. What's in here?" You asked.

  Miku gulped, "Uh, I put vitamins in the juice?"

  "Why do you sound unsure of yourself?" You asked.

  She pursed her lips, "You don't want to know what I put in the juice."

  You set the cup down gently and just sat there, staring into nothing. You slowly put you hand to you chin, the taste becoming familiar in your mouth. Miku grew a bit nervous. She knew you were smart, and she noticed the face you made when you were trying to put pieces together. You looked up at her, "Do..you mix this with blood?"

Miku slowly nodded, "Yeah..?"

You swallowed hard, "I-Is it blood from an animal?"

Miku mentally winced, "Animal blood wouldn't be what the baby wants."

You suddenly felt sick to your stomach and began to gag. You didn't want to upchuck your juice but knowing that what you were consuming was human blood almost did. You tried to calm yourself down, and it barely managed to work. You coughed, "Where do you get this blood?"

"From James," She stated. "It's not from the hunting grounds either. He volunteers at a hospital in town and steals fresh pints of blood."

She sounded a bit too nonchalant for your liking. You frowned, "Miku!"

She put her hands up in defense, "I haven't taken a sip! I've really wanted to, but it's all for you and the baby!"

"No! It's not that! I mean, I'm glad you guys are so thoughtful, but people use that blood! Need it! Also, why didn't you tell me you've been putting blood in my juice!" You yelled.

She shook her head, "I know you wouldn't drink straight up blood, so I mixed it in your juice. The baby is getting all its nutrients besides the food you eat. Look in the mirror, I've been giving you that juice for almost two months now, and you're gaining a bit of weight."

"It's just ten pounds." You responded.

"It's a good ten pounds. It was unhealthy that you were so skinny while being pregnant. The juice is helping." She smiled.