| XVIII | Talks, Apologies, and Disguises

Start from the beginning

     "I'm offended."

     "You and I did have a fight, last I recall."

     "Yeah, but we're cool now. I have every right to be salty."

     "Okay, fine, you win."

     "The point is," Jay cut in, ending their petty argument. "We're all here to stick by each other, and that's all that matters."

     And the others nodded, agreeing.

     "You really didn't have to walk me back, you know. Your room's on the upper floor."

     "I know, but I have to pass your room to get there, anyway. Plus, I want to."

     Lloyd gave the dark-haired girl a smile. "Well, thanks."

     Once stopping at his door, Scarlett held her hands behind her back, rocking back and forth on her heels. "You know, Lloyd... I meant what I said before. About who would win."

     "I know." He nodded, chuckling. "You're not a very good liar, anyway."

     "And here I was ready to compliment on how badass you looked in that buggy."

     "I'd love to hear how badass I looked in that buggy—tell me more."

     She laughed, shaking her head amusedly. "Well, you looked very cool in there. The way your powers just took over the vehicle and how you easily passed all of Chen's obstacles."

     "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were observing me rather than just watching," Lloyd told her with a small smirk.

     "Very funny." Scarlett reduced her laughing to a smile and a small blush crept up her cheeks. "What's up with you? You've never been this cocky."

     "I think Kai's just rubbing off on me a little too much. Sorry," he apologized, smiling sheepishly.

     "Then go on and sleep. After all this, I feel relieved... you guys have fought already. I can sleep easy."

     Lloyd's smile then dropped. "Yeah, but... you haven't fought yet."

     "It's okay, I'm not worried about me—not as much as I was worried about you guys," she told him reassuringly.

     "Well, we're worried about you. You can't lose, Chen can't have your powers, you know that just as well as I do." Lloyd gave her a look, shaking his head. "And... I don't want you out."

     "I don't want to lose either... and I promise, I'll give my very best against whoever I'm fighting," Scarlett told him. "I won't go down easy."

     "I know you won't." Now he was the one who grabbed her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Just... just be careful, all right?"

     She stared at their intertwined fingers, the blush returning—and more than just a light dust. "Yeah... yeah, I will."

     With her cheeks still red, she now smiled wide and pulled her hand away, lightly shoving him forward. "Now get to sleep, you dummy. If I'm fighting it's ought to be soon, right? You don't wanna miss that!"

     Lloyd laughed a bit, opening the door. "Yeah, you're right, I'm going. And hey, I am not a dummy."

     "Oh, you and Jay are the biggest ones around. Goodnight, Lloyd."

     With a small smile, he leaned against the doorframe. "Goodnight, Scarlett." He then walked in, shutting the doors behind him.

     She stood there for a few seconds, smiling softly. "Such a cheesy... dummy."