what more is you looking for?

Jeongguk thought the merman would at least be grateful to him for saving his life. He thought wrong.

When Jeongguk was busy applying the seaweed on the merman's body, the merman had finally slipped to unconsciousness. He only woke up an hour later, when Jeongguk tried to inject him with morphine so he won't feel so much pain when he woke up. He struggled with the dosage since he didn't know the tolerance level of the merman he wouldn't want to kill him so carelessly after being stung by the jellyfish for him.

Taehyung tried to remember what happened. He remembered the motor of a boat, getting entangled in webs with knives and shards of ice, getting dragged out of the water and...

God saving him.

Yeah, it might be God.

When Taehyung was drifting in and out of consciousness, he remembered his tail hurting like shit. Some guy with jet black hair was talking to him, and he was trying to save him. That guy's voice sounded better than any sirens Taehyung had ever heard, brighter than a winter day's sunlight, cool like a seasonal current, firm like the rocks beneath the ocean floors, yet soft like his grandmothers' touches. It felt like home.

The wound still burned, and so did his saviours' touch. Taehyung blinked his eyes several times before fully opening them, taking in his surroundings. The bright light on top of him reminded him of the scorching sun that one time he wandered to somewhere too shallow, almost got washed up to the beach and returned home with a tail between his legs (figuratively) and sunburnt skin.

When Taehyung blinked out his grogginess, he made out the silhouette of his saviour, who was blocking out some of the light. Taehyung could still feel the numb pain from his tail, like a tingly numb sensation that he couldn't shake off.

That was when Taehyung realised something was off. He couldn't pinpoint the problem though. It hurts. What am I looking for? Jiminie. Yoongi. Grandma. 21. Where am I. Vial- vial????

Taehyung finally remembered the pearly duffle he was supposed to be carrying when the realisation finally hit him now that he could no longer feel the fabric of the strap against his shoulder. He instantly sat up, thought pain shot through his spine almost immediately. He patted his bare chest and shoulders, head whipping around hurriedly. Gone. His bag was gone.

"Oh, you're awake. What are you looking for?" Jeongguk stared at Taehyung from above, very confused at the merman's frantic state.

Taehyung ignored the question thrown at him, desperately trying to find his precious vial.

"Did you see my bag?" okay I'll admit its a really bad pun but I had to lololol sorry not sorry

"Your bag? Do you mean the pearly white one? Here. Oh." Jeongguk's gaze landed on the floor beside the pool, the indigo liquid staring right back at him.

"Dude what the fuck?! Did you break my vial? Do you even know how important it is? You fucking-" Taehyung's vision went red. Without the vial it means that he could never turn into a human, meaning that he would have to go back to the sea immediately, pretty pathetic if you asked him. So Taehyung did the logical thing and starting biting Jeongguk's arm.

"Dude, what the fuck is wrong with you? I saved your life you dumbass! Stop fucking biting me you slimy fish-"

"If you had paid more attention to it then it won't be broken!"

"Then you would be fucking dead is that what you want?"

Both parties raised their voices, air thick with tension and anger. Jeongguk could feel Taehyung stir under his gaze, but Jeongguk did not want to back down since he did nothing wrong. Who would prioritise a vial over their own life? The merman in front of him looked terrifying, navy eyes with a glint of fury behind. Taehyung clenched his fist and reached for mother ocean in his veins. He called and the seas answered. Taehyung could feel the power surging through him, as he raised his hands and a tsunami of water from the pool and tanks aimed at his saviour in front of him.