down in the muck here

"Promise me you won't get any girl pregnant please?" 

"Jimin shut up Taehyung is gay."

"He might get drunk and you know how he gets when he's drunk-"

Yoongi and Jimin kept bickering on the topic, yet Taehyung couldn't find himself paying any attention to the couple. Jimin insisted that Taehyung would only face immense danger on land, like getting caught by immigration or getting a girl pregnant.

"Jeez Chim, I'm not that dumb, I know how to take care of myself. And I'm good at faking and acting too."

"Yeah Chim, if I could make it through there's no way Tae wouldn't. But just in case, you're packing some of my autographs with you. Bet those would come in handy."

Taehyung snorted loudly. As if anyone actually liked Agust D duh. Two years ago when Yoongi finally reached 21, he spent a month on land, a tradition for royal family members. Some King thought this could widen their horizon and quote-unquote just because they are ignorant of our presence doesn't mean we should be ignorant of theirs. And that's how the tradition was set years ago. According to Yoongi himself, he had mostly slept through the days and when night time falls, he's out. The nocturnal merman made himself a name by performing in underground rapping competitions, under the name August D. Yoongi said he was really popular and often told Taehyung if he had stayed long enough, he could have won a Grammy.

Taehyung called it bullshit.

"Anyways, please be careful Tae, you know how dangerous humans are. And on your way up please be extra cautious, okay? You know there has been frequent report on hunters in these waters. Just pick a deeper shore with no humans nearby. Do you want me to go with you? You know I can always-"

"Chim, I know you're worried about me, but I'll be fine, okay? I'm turning 21 for Poseidon's sake!" Taehyung let out exasperatedly. Jimin was his best friend, he gets where this came from but honestly, after being babied for his entire life, he's a little bit sick of it. He wanted to live to the fullest.

"Tae, just one last thing to remind you before we leave. You know you can only go on shore once you've discovered your trait right? Don't do anything stupid before that. And keep the necklace safe would you? Drink the vial once you're near the shallow areas, then you swim your way to the beach. Bring this shell with you as well, in case you miss us you could call-" Jimin was fidgeting, looking at Taehyung with big wide eyes.

"Come on Chim, it's his big day tomorrow, cut him some slack, he'll be fine, don't worry. Good luck and have fun out there bub." Yoongi patted Jimin on the back reassuringly, rubbing circles in his neck. It's only natural Jimin feel uncomfortable with Taehyung out of his reach, since the duo were basically joined at the hip since they were three. Jimin first met Taehyung in the palace, where his father worked as the General. Jimin bumped into Taehyung in the corridor, and got their tails entangled. Maybe that was fates' idea, since then, the two has been inseparable.

With a reluctant smile, Jimin waved Taehyung goodbye and left with Yoongi. Taehyung was alone in his room at last. He eyed the indigo vial that sat on his desk. Yoongi had told him that after he drank the vial, he could get temporary human legs for a month. Taehyung wondered if it would hurt: would all his scales peel off one by one? Will his tail split in half? Will his legs be blue, like his tail? Instead of pestering Yoongi with questions, Taehyung decided to find out the answers by himself. (Although he's pretty sure Yoongi would have told him off anyways)

Taehyung pulled out a petite ivory-colored shoulder bag from his drawer and placed the seashell and the vial necklace in it. The bag was woven by his grandmother, using the finest coral silk found in the seven seas. The bag was also decorated with pearls, glimmering faintly in the room. Taehyung eyed the autographs on seashells, sighed defeatedly, and shoved one in his most treasured bag. Being a forgetful person, Taehyung did not put down his bag. The chances of him forgetting to take it were very high. So he took it with him when he went for a midnight swim.