15 | So close, yet so far.

"I-it's me?!" the blonde boy stuttered wanting a confirmation, while his eyes got wide open.

Darryl felt his heart racing, his palms getting sweaty, and his face heating up. He never felt so lost in somebody's words and eyes.

The two didn't move an inch, both unable to look away from each other.

"It is." Zak confirmed, giving him the most sweet and heartwarming smile the blonde boy ever saw.

Butterflies started to agitate in his stomach. He hugged him softly.

"Thank you." he whispered, feeling Zak's arms wrapping around his torso.

"For what?" asked, his voice muffled by the taller boy's hoodie.

"I don't know exactly, but still, thank you..." murmured, softly tightening the hug.

"You're welcome, I guess." sweetly replied, closing his eyes, enjoying the hug.

Zak always been touch deprived by his own choice. Being touched was a nightmare for him. He would get anxious and sick, for some reason.
Somehow, Darryl was the only one able to touch him without causing him problems. His careful and soft, casual touching made him feel good.

After a bunch of conformable seconds, Darryl broke the hug and smiled at the short boy.

"Let's go take your stuff so you can get some rest, okay?"

The taxi was completely silent, the muffled car engine was the only audible background noise.
Darryl was lost in his thoughts while watching out of the window, and Zak was anxiously fidgeting with the string of the blonde boy's hoodie and jacket he was still wearing.
Without stopping, he said something in a incomprehensible murmur, catching Darryl's attention.

"Mh? What was that?" asked the older boy after turning his head in his direction.

"Uh?" Zak hummed in reply, imitating his movement.

"You said something but I didn't quite catch it." explained, smiling softly in a desperate attempt to cover up his concern.

Zak seemed to panic for some second, probably realizing only then he said one of his thoughts out loud.

"Uh, it's nothing, don't worry about it." murmured, uncomfortably looking back at the string.

"Zak, please... Is it about school? Or the baseball team?" questioned concerned, arching his eyebrows.

"It's... stupid, really. Forget it." replied, aggressively fidgeting with the string.

Darryl leaned one hand on his shoulder, and tilted his head to the side as soon as the short boy glanced at him.

"Ugh, it's just... I feel like our relationship is going way too flawless, y'know?" explained looking away from him, furrowing his eyebrows. "I always end up messing everything up, and... I really don't want to this time."

The blonde boy stared at Zak, caught off guard by his words.

"It won't happen-" tried to reassure, getting immediately cutted off by the short boy.

"It will, Darryl. It's a fact. I know myself." blurted out, letting his hands fall on his legs with an exhausted sigh.

"Zak, please." the black haired boy looked back at him. "Nothing bad will happen, I promise." reassured Darryl, smiling softly at him.

With another long and deep sigh, he nodded, giving in with a small forced smile.
The car stopped right after, dangerously increasing Zak's anxiety.