A forgotten promise

At the time, I didn't know how to take all this. Him so close, holding my hand... staring at me. Looking back, I wish I would have taken that one opportunity to... well, do something.

Instead, I shoved him like I was annoyed—creating some distance between us. Then I felt my cheeks turning red, once I realized I shoved his chest... and... O-O

I ran back to the house—Laundry never felt so inviting.

All the rest of the day, every time I looked at him he was holding back a smile and looking at me like I was his favorite person in the world.

•••

The first rays of sunlight peeked over the horizon. Sonea opened here eyes and took a moment to remember where she was... ah yes, she had found a warm place on a nearby farm where she could rest for the night. She stretched and rubbed her head, trying to let thoughts of... him, drift away—lost in the fog of daydreams.
Today she needed to send a message ahead to her mother. Rummaging through her pack, she found what she needed. With much effort, she composed the following in somewhat broken words:
  Mother, I have left the factory. I think it is time we do something. I have saved up all I could. I will arrive within a half turn of the moon... how I've missed you all. We will solve this together. Let's put things straight.
  -Sonéa
  She addressed the letter, packed her few things, and snuck out.
  It was a fine day. She realized all this good weather was a good opportunity to, well... bathe. My, there were many things to consider when one one was far from comforts. She would have to keep an eye out for a good spot over the next few days.

•••

Sonea was cautious as she neared the general store. She didn't want another run-in like yesterday. Just drop off the letter, she told herself.
She neared the entrance and slipped in, walking round the backs of shelves, quiet as a mouse. By the time she reached the front, the owner had just enough time to receive her letter between bits of conversations with other customers. She smiled in thanks and headed back out, quite pleased.
Just as she neared the door, a voice stopped her.
"Howdy lass—aren't you the girl Erik chased after yesterday?"
She half turned, curious, and a little embarrassed.
The fellow was young, and somewhat large, a half grin on his face. He must have been a helper in the shop.
"I suppose so..." she said.
He laughed to himself, "That's the most flustered I've ever seen him."
She wasn't sure how to respond. "Could you.. give him a message for me?" She did feel a little bad, considering how she treated him yesterday.
"Oh I surely could. What is it?" He asked with a bit of a gleam in his eye, apparently enjoying this mini soap opera involving his friend.
"Welcome home," she said glancing down. At the young mans nod she then turned out the door.