A right turn

Voices echoed through the clearing just as she found cover in the trees. She gazed through the branches to see who it might be.

Her heart started pounding and she got all the more embarrassed at the thought of anyone finding her here.

She didn't have a clear view. A thick covering of branches and trees shielded her.

Come to think of it—it might appear as if she was the one trespassing... she rolled her eyes internally, not wanting to think of how that would play out.

She took a deeep, calming breath, and took a moment to compose herself. No one should  find her here if she kept her wits about her.

Well—moments later—she lost her thoughts, and possibly her wits too, when the men started stripping.

She threw caution to the wind, stifled a squeal, and took off through the trees towards the trail.

Tree branches flew by and she hopped over twigs and knotted roots, keeping her footsteps quick, but as quiet as utterly possible.

She glanced back to make sure no one was following her.

There was a break in the trees just ahead, an opening to the trail that led back to town. She broke through the trees and...

Bam!

"Oof!" She exclaimed as she hit something and tumbled to the ground in a heap.

"Oy!" Came the surprised voice of whoever she had careened into. "Stop playing tricks—" the mans voice cut short as he stared at her from the ground where he'd fallen.

She about died right there.

Of course it was Eric...

For a few agonizing moments neither of them knew what to do.

He snapped out of it first and jumped to his feet, offering her a hand up. "Are you alright?", he asked. "What are you doing here?"

He seemed to realize the obvious after looking her over once more—taking in the half laced bodice, and her wet hair.

She was looking him over too. His shirt was untucked and the front undone. He must have been on his way to meet his friends.

"Sorry!" Her eyes couldn't meet his, and it was all she could do to accept his hand. "I... I...", she stammered, not able to complete her thought.

A distant splash and the hoops of the other men reached them.

"Well... I guess you got out just in time", he smirked.

She tucked her hair nervously and grasped for a change of subject—trying not to think about what would have happened if Eric hadn't strayed behind—

Remembering her things on the ground, she gasped and scrambled to pick up the clothes she'd been carrying, and the little bag of soap and accessories.

Eric moved to help. Thankfully there wasn't anything too embarrassing strewn about.

"Have you a place to stay while your in town?" He had a growing suspicion otherwise—it was clear in his voice.

"Oh, yes, of course" she said quickly, not wanting to go into detail.

He raised an eyebrow. "But... are you here on your own?"

He knew the answer to the question. The moment he realized she had been bathing in the lake... he knew. But it was important to hear it from her. And so he waited.

She looked away. "Yes..."

"Will you tell me what happened?"

She felt the possibility of tears pricking her eyes, and couldn't bring herself to answer.

He waited, undeterred by the silence.