A warm fire

She came in quietly through the kitchen door, and sat by the fire with a hunk of bread and some leftover cheese. She ate slowly as the warmth settle in, and decided anew that she would make the best of things as they were.
No use tempting fate, reaching for a life beyond her gasp. Best to be thankful for what one has.
Her meager meal finished and her mind at peace, she climbed the stairs and headed to bed.

The upper floor had primarily been used for storage, but once boxes and supplies were stacked and stored properly, the poorer factory girls had made themselves enough space to place pallets. Some, like herself, had been there long enough that stray boxes and nearby nooks on shelves had slowly become resting places for there meager possessions, and little bits and bobs that made them feel like they belonged. A colorful cloth over a heavy crate, with a cup filled with wildflowers resting on top. Diaries and precious books stuffed in between boxes. Empty crates with make-shift tops holding personal items. Secret treasures hidden in this old box or another, resting high on a shelf or in a forgotten corner.
She smiled to herself as she looked around, the scene softly illuminated by the light of her candle, and weaved her way to her place among the sleeping figures.
She blew out her candle, and waited for her eyes to adjust to the moonlight seeping faintly through the small windows. Blessed sleep came the minute her blanket was pulled up, and her head rested on her pillow.