A New Day

She woke early the next morning to muffled sounds of folk about their morning chores. Packing quickly, she set off for familier territory--her family's old homestead.
The journey was soothing and the sight of her home brought a smile to her lips, and a tear to her eye. She found a beautiful spot just beneath the tree canopy, and sat, taking everything in.
Hours passed, and she eventually made her way down to her favorite spot by the stream, guided by the grumbling in her belly. She knew just the spot to pick some berries. Although not quite ripe yet, she felt the memories of happier times and sweeter tastes as if it were now.

°°°

As she walked the familiar aisles at Martin's General Store, Sonea pondered what exactly she'd need for her trip. With only so much coin to spare, she made mental calculations to decide where best to spend them.
  She walked softly, scanning the tall shelves in back as other, louder customers tromped about the front of the store. By chance, she glanced through an opening, and the sight she saw sent a wave of heat through her. Her hand froze where it was, half pulling an object down for a closer look.
  That was Erik. Her first love. There was a time when the only life she could imagine was one with him... but time and distance had changed that. She felt a stab of pain for a dream that never was, and knowing it could never come to be. She was changed, different now... was he? She wondered, then cast that thinking aside. It was none of her business.
  She pushed the item back on the shelf and slipped out of the shop before he could notice.

Heart beating, she found herself regretting that she'd have to spend a whole week here. She wanted to be far away and moving on with things, not twiddling her thumbs and dwelling on the past.
Yet a part of her yearned for a time to perhaps mend what was lost... to experience what might have been. She knew better though. She smiled ruefully to herself as she walked down the road, cutting through ally-ways, weaving her way back out of town.