The Cranks

Maddies POV

All night she thought about the Cranks, she still couldn't believe she was going to turn into one.

The night went by slow but morning finally came, everyone was asleep ti'll someone woke up to the sounds of footsteps walking to our room.

Brendasoon entered, walking into the room, waking everyone up.

"If you guys can please come with me, it would be appreciated." She nodded and walked out, automatically making everyone follow her.

They walked into a big room where a guy stood, but this wasn't just some guy, this was a guy Maddie knew, she knew very well.

"Hello Gladers, welcome to the Trials, good to see you guys slept alright?" This man spoke, he wasn't exactly the most attractive man.

Everyone didn't respond, they didn't know him so who were they to tell a complete stranger information?

"My name is Ratman, I am here to tell you all information and to tell you were to go, if you try to hurt me or anyone else the guards here aren't afraid to shoot you." He added, his voice calm but you could tell he was serious.

"I am here today to tell you who does and doesn't have the Flare." He cleared his voice and turned to everyone, their eyes a bit wide.

What was the Flare? It was that thing from the sun, the disease right?

That was mainly everyones thoughts at this moment.

"The names that I call out first are immune to the Flare." He stated, turning towards a few of the Gladers.

"Minho."

"Thomas."

"Frypan."

And a few other kids.

Maddie turned to look at Newt who was pale as a white sheet.

"The following names I call are not immune to the Flare." He concluded, turning to a few others.

"Madison."

And few others also got called.

"And ah yes, Newton." He finished and looked at Newt, a sly smile on his face.

Maddie turned to look at Newt again, he didn't know what to do or what to say.

He just stood there, in disbelief.

Maddie pulled him into a hug and he hugged her back tight, his emotions flowing through all at once.

Thomas, Minho, and Frypan stood there, confusion and sadness in their expressions.

Two of their closest friends had the Flare and probably will go insane.

"You guys...it will be okay..." Thomas smiled weakly at them, but he knew it wouldn't help, nor would it fix the spreading illness.

"We have eachother Newt." Maddie whisperd and Newt nodded, pressing a warm kiss to her forehead.

"I know, we can get through this together." He whispered back, tears blurrying his vision.

"I just want to tell you this before I lose my mind." Maddie murmured, her fingers tracing his jaw line.

"If I say anything in the process of loosing my mind, anything bad saying 'I hate you' or 'I never loved you' or 'I used you' just know that's a lie okay?" She spoke, looking him in the eyes to show she was serious by what she meant.

He nodded and a tear slipped from his eye.

"I love you Madison." He smiled softly and she smiled back at him.

"I love you too Newt." She smiled and they kissed sweetly.

****

After everything had settled down, Ratman came back.

"We all have decided to put you back into your rooms for further notice." He stated, his arms crossed over his chest.

"We'll deliever food at the time but for now we need you to report to your rooms." He added then left, not saying a word after.

Everyone stood up, about to leave when they all were shocked and stunned by what they saw.

Another room was filled with girls, but only one boy.

Who were they?

Why were they here?

They don't look like Cranks.

Maddie looked at Thomas who looked back at her.

'Who the shuck are they?' She thought, looking at them suspiciously.

'I have no idea, but this never means it's a good thing.' He thought back and Maddie nodded as if agreeing.

They all tried to forget about what they had seen and went back to their assigned rooms.

"So who were those shanks?" Minho grumbled, sitting inbetween Thomas's legs, letting Thomas rest his head on his shoulder.

"I have no idea." Maddie replied while Newt had his arms around her.

She was leaning against his chest and Newt had rested his head on hers gently.

Minho was sitting still inbetween Thomas who let Minho play with his hand to keep him from panicking.

Whoever they were, they wern't good.

Nobody knew why they were here, and they didn't want to know either.

But there is always a catch to it and this one, isn't good.