Chapter Twenty Four

early update cause i have service hours tmrw & i might forget to update when i come home :)

Talia

I COUDLN'T MOVE.

My body was paralyzed; incapable of making any movement. I could feel the sweat drenching my skin, the throbbing of my own eyes, the ringing screams vibrating in my ears, and the thumping of my heart against my chest. 

My fingers had been curled into a fist, nails digging into my palm. I couldn't hear my rapid breathing, but I had felt the oxygen flooding in and out of my lungs. 

Fear tortured my guts, churning my stomach in tense cramps. Fear engulfed my conscience, knocking all other thoughts aside. Fear overwhelmed my body, making it drastically exhausted. However, most of all, the fear had made me calm and that is what had scared me the most.

"How did you find me?" I'd managed to breath out.

His lips lifted into a sly grin, his beady eyes portraying smugness. His expression made me want to puke. 

He grinned, cunningly. "It was simple, really," 

"You were a fool to think we'd give up on finding you. Your biggest mistake was hiding in one location for a long time. And now that we've discovered that your mate is the most powerful Alpha in werewolf existence? That, my dear, makes you all the more enticing."

Eyes widened, breaths ragged and harsh. My hands trembled at my sides and the thing jammed his fist into my mouth to stifle the scream. I'd heard it coming; the soft susurration of its footsteps, like a threatening whisper. 

Nicos and I didn't dare recognize them as anything but things. Not beings. Things. Nothing more than that - and that displeasured them greatly.

"You'll never get away with this." I had managed to muffle out.

It didn't seem to come from any direction, just a sound that encapsulated inside my cocoon of despair and hopelessness. I probably wasn't going to make it out alive. My legs were frozen into place, so I crouched into a crawl and dragged myself towards the edge of the forest, gasping and choking. I clawed at the tree with bitten nails and the already peeling bark came away with some difficulty. My jaw dropped in a silent scream of horror. 

The thing lunged at me, a dark shape latching onto my back. I struck the ground, hard, and lay there convulsing and twitching. The life in my eyes faded slowly until the iris merged with the whites, a chalk-coloured froth clouding my mouth until I fell into the ever-consuming darkness below me.

He'd attempted to steal my soul before - and now, he'd been one step closer to achieving his goal.

-

I woke up with a chill.

The penetrating feeling of the cold clawed its way through my skin, I shivered, attempting to heat myself up with my quivering arms. I squeezed my eyelids, feeling the painful ache of my back arise from being dragged around the night before.

I whimpered. I opened my eyes and began to search my surroundings. 

I had been placed in a dark, gloomy cell. No windows - and a small door with heavy locks placed on top. Despite everything that had been going on, I felt myself snicker at their heavy security. Nicos and I had escaped when they had foolishly placed one lock placed on the door. It wasn't a shock to me that they'd decided to learn from their lesson. 

Suddenly, an unbearable feeling creeped its way to my heart. It was an excruciating pain, and for a second, I thought I had been having a heart attack. I gritted my teeth together, tears making its way to my eyes as I clenched my fists. I mewled in pain, and it felt like hours before the pain died down. 

A sound could be heard through the door and my alertness rose. I crawled my way back into a wall - my movement restricted through silver cuffs that had been wrapped around my wrists. Through all my constant, heavy thinking, I must have failed to notice the cuffs placed on my wrists.

I heard the locks clicking open, unlatching, a man arose from the darkness. I blinked a few times and squinted at the sudden light appearing.

A large, bulky man appeared from the doorway; sporting a stiff expression on his face. He had crimson eyes, a deathly glint sparkling between his eyes. His knuckles cracked as he looked me over once, growling in disdain.

I glared at him, "Who are you?"

The man growled out, "I'm the bloke thats feeding you, so I'd watch your tone."

"I'd rather starve than eat whatever poison you're serving." I spat, viciously. 

He growled, taking long, quick strides towards me. He wrapped his thick, long fingers around my throat, squeezing with heavy pressure. I felt myself clawing for air and I thrashed my arms around violently.

"If it wasn't for bosses' orders, I'd decapitate you right now and right here."

He let my weak neck go and I had begun to wheeze for air. My breaths were heavy and ragged. I narrowed my gaze at him while I had been clawing for air. 

"What if I need to pee?"

"There's a bucket right there."

I huffed in distaste. 

He hastily exited the room shortly - in what I assume was to fetch my poison - and whilst he had been gone, I began plotting.

In that moment, I knew, that even if I had to lose my limbs in the midst of it - that I would escape.

And nothing would get in my way.