Brice Sunday

Sosososo sorry for the late update. I hope this chapter makes up for it.

*

I laugh at whatever bullshit Caleb just said, because at the moment, my mind is still on Aizlynn. I don't know how to react. Neither did my brothers, if we're all being honest. I mean, c'mon.

My phone rings. But only twice. Because it's Leah.

Leah. Feels like I haven't seen her in forever. Nor do I want to.

I clear my throat and press the phone to my ear.

"Hell-"

"Brice. It's Leah. You'd better come over."

Then the line goes dead. I pull away and frown. "Uh, guys, I gotta go."

"Okay. Bring me home a donut!"

"Get your own donut, Cyle."

Chris punches my arm. "Go."

*

I get there in no time, race up the steps, and I'm about to knock on the door when it opens, revealing an obviously tired Leah.

"Mrs. Knight."

"Brice, don't call me that. Honestly. It's weird. Um..." She takes a deep breath. "Aizlynn... Aizlynn wanted you to have something before she... um..."

"Yeah."

"It's in her room." She covers her face.

I nod, even though she can't see me. I know now isn't really the best time to be a jerk, but I don't care. I brush past her shoulder. "Wait. What is it?"

She looks up at me with teary eyes. "You- you'll know."

I nod again and conquer the steps one at a time. I do so slowly. I don't know what awaits me on the other side of that door. Part of me doesn't want to know. Part of me does. It's like my mind is reckoning with an unknown force. Like, my brain wants to know what's there.

But... my heart doesn't.

When I reach the door, I open it, but do so cautiously. It could be her goddamn pet dragon for all I know.

And... 

And on the other side of her door, is none other than the one, and only, Aizlynn Renee Knight.

Oh my God.

Oh my fucking God.

A tear makes its merry way down my cheek, and Aizlynn instantly bawls her eyes out. As if a sudden hurricane struck the earth from above.

I rush over to her with open arms and scoop her up, then sit down on her bed with her in m lap. She buries her head into my shoulder, shaking uncontrollably.

"Shh... It's okay. I'm here." I kiss her head and look her in the eye. She sniffs. "Oh my Lord. Aizlynn Renee Knight. Never leave me again."

She nods and starts crying all over again.

I hug her close, and let her make my shirt sopping wet. I kiss her over and over. I squeeze her so tight I'm afraid I'll shatter her.

And I have but one care. My girl's in my mother fucking arms. Alive.