Chapter 60: This Wall Between Us

Daryl's POV

This car ride definitely wins for most awkward trip ever. Tyreese still looks mad about Karen and the fight he had with Rick. All I can say about that is that I'm glad that I broke it up before anyone was seriously hurt. I can't imagine how he must be feeling about losing his girl.

If I ever lost mine...I don't even want to know.

Bob stays quiet, a smart move on his part. He knows he isn't allowed one sip of that damn drink he snatched. I knew he would have a hard time playing on a team.

Whatever. Either way, no one died and we got what we needed.

I'm driving, the meds in our backpacks in the trunk. The prison comes into view, and I smile lightly. Hope will be waiting for me, smiling that beautiful smile of hers. She smiles so much, lifting everyone's moods. She has this aura of confidence and happiness around her that feel contagious.

"You thinking about Hope?" Michonne asks.

"Why do you say that?" I ask, wiping the smile off my face.

"I can tell. Whenever you think about her you get a stupid grin on your face." She grins.

"You got me," I say, shrugging.

I stop at the front of the prison, and Carl opens the gates as I drive the car up, parking it. Hope isn't outside, which surprises me.

We climb out and I try to go inside the prison, looking for Hope, but Carl stops me.

"Where's Rick?" I ask.

"He and Carol went on a run," he says, and his face looks pained. "I have to tell you something. Dad asked me too."

Fear courses through my heart for a split second, but I still nod. What could've happened?

"Ok. What?"

"Hope. She's...she's in A," he says quietly, his voice breaking. "I'm sorry Daryl."

I stand, frozen in place. It feels like the whole damned planet stops spinning for a moment. This can't be happening. She was fine before I left. My girl...my angel...

"We gotta get these meds to them, fast!" I yell, and Tyreese and Michonne grab the bags and follow me, sprinting into the prison.

I only have one thing on my mind, and that's saving Hope. I can't let her die. She's the only woman I've ever loved this much. If she dies...

I push the thought from my mind as we reach A. I bang on the door and Hershel comes out.

"You got them?" he asks.

"Yeah. Where's Hope?" I ask, trying to push by him.

"I can't let you do that Daryl," Hershel says kindly. "We can't have you getting sick."

"Please...just let me see her..." I beg, trying not to sound as sad as I feel.

"There's a meeting room over there." He points. "I'll send her over there and you can see her then."

I nod. Michonne and Tyreese hand him the bags of meds and he opens them.

"You got another air pump," he says, sounding relieved. "We'll need this."

Tyreese and Michonne turn and leave, and I walk down the other hallway.

Hershel disappears back into A, where my girl is laying there, sick, dying, and alone.

Hope's POV

"Hope?"

I open my eyes and look up. Hershel stands over me, and he isn't wearing his mask.

"He's here. He wants to see you."

I sit up too fast, causing my head to spin and making me collapse onto the bed again. Hershel takes my hand and helps me up.

I walk down the hallway, feeling like crap. I cough loudly, my throat burning. Sweat lines my face and neck, and my head throbs horribly.

I round the corner into a small room with a big window. Daryl stands on the other side, his face etched with pain.

"Daryl..." I whisper, relief washing over me.

"Hope..." he says, his voice breaking. "I'm sorry I left. I should've been here with you. I-"

"Daryl. Stop. Those meds are going to help a lot," I say before coughing again.

He presses his hand to the window, and I place mine on the same spot. The glass is cold, and I long for the feeling of his hand on mine.

"You can beat this," he whispers. "I know you can, my strong angel." Tears run down his face and my heart aches.

"Don't cry...please," I plead. "What'd I say about not cryin' anymore?" I smile weakly, quoting him from so long ago, when we had first met.

He wipes his face, smiling sadly.

"Survive. For me..."

"I always do." I cough again, groaning. "Go take care of the group."

Daryl nods, and he leans his forehead against the glass. "I love you, Hope."

"I love you too."

He pulls his hand away from the glass and walks away, his shoulders and head drooped, his usual, powerful stride...gone.

With each step he takes, my heart breaks more and more.