Chapter 12: I've Got a Feeling

Lying in the grass, looking at the sky with a redneck beside me; It'd be correct of me to say that I never thought that would happen.

It's nice, 'cause for a while, you can forget that there are walkers around you and you're fighting for survival. For a while, you can just be at peace.

"Alright people!" Shane yells to the whole group, breaking me out of my daydreaming. "I say we trust Rick's instincts and go to the CDC. Anyone who agrees, we leave for the CDC in the morning, so get a good night's sleep."

I sit up, stretching. I nudge Daryl, who's still sleeping.

"Daryl," I say softly. He grunts and his eyes flutter open. "Shane just announced that we're going to the CDC."

He moves slightly, propping himself up on one elbow. "A'ight. When are we leavin'?"

"In the morning. Shane wants us to get a good night's sleep," I reply.

"What time do you think it is?" he asks, squinting his eyes and looking at the sky.

"I don't know. Around five o'clock?" I shrug.

"That means we've got some time," he says, laying back down in the grass.

"I'm gonna get some water. You want me to get some for you?" I ask, getting up.

"Yeah. Thanks."

I walk over to the water bin and scoop some into a cup. I take a long drink, then refill the cup.

"Hey Hope!" Dale calls from on top of the RV.

I look up, waving. "Hey Dale!"

He motions for me to climb up and join him, so I do. I sit down beside the chair he's in.

"Alright, what's your secret?"

"What secret?"

"Daryl Dixon asked you to come rest with him, plus he actually started a conversation with you...twice," he says.

"Yeah, so?" I'm confused, to say the least.

"Ever since Merle and him came to this camp, he's been moody and hardly ever talks to anyone. You show up and...he actually looks like he wants to talk to you, get to know you."

"Really? Can't say that's ever happened to me before..."

"I just thought you should know. Daryl obviously sees something in you."

"Speaking of him, I told him I would grab him water." I get up, grabbing the water cup near my feet. "See you."

He waves as I climb off the RV and walk back to Daryl. I hand him the cup and he gulps the water down. I sit and watch the sky.

"I still don't really know you," he remarks, shifting onto his side so he's facing me. "What's your story?"

"I told everyone my story by the campfire the first night I was here. You were still hunting," I say, lying down facing him. "It's not that exciting."

"Tell me anyways. I'm curious."

I sigh. "The whole thing?"

He nods, waiting.

"You know my family's dead and that I don't have any siblings. What more would you want to know?"

"I dunno. Dreams? How you managed to survive? That stuff." He waits some more.

"I was training to be a vet, but I left school to become an actress. I survived because when everyone left Atlanta, I didn't have a car or bike to take me with them. I stayed in the department store where I worked. That's where your group found me." I stare into his eyes. "How was that?"

"Well, I do feel like I know you a little better now." Daryl smirks, rolling onto his back again. "Where are you from? Originally?"

"Canada."

"Hmm, you're a Canadian girl." He closes his eyes. After a second, he adds, "That's not a bad thin'."

"What about you?"

"Born and raised right here in Georgia," he answers simply.

"What about your story? Mom? Dad? Siblings other than Merle?" I settle onto my stomach, looking at him.

His face darkens. "I ain't told no one 'bout my family."

"I told you a little about mine...you owe me."

"I don't owe you nothin'."

"Please?"

"No."

I flutter my eyelashes, smiling pleadingly. He sighs and purses his lips.

"Merle is my only siblin'. My parents..." He trails off. "They're both dead. That's all I'll say."

I tilt my head a little. "Don't you trust anyone?"

"No, not really. You're the only person so far who's asked about my life." He turns his head to look at me. "Why?"

I stay quiet for a few moments, thinking. "I don't know exactly. Maybe I think I should know my roommate a little better."

Daryl closes his eyes and shakes his head. "I guess I don't know why I'm stayin' around you either. We've only known each other for what? Two days?"

"About that. But you've gotta make friends quickly now. Surviving alone isn't easy. That's why we need others."

"I've survived on my own. It's not that difficult," he says.

"You're kind of the lone wolf type huh?" I ask, grinning.

"You could say that."

"Hope! Daryl!" Rick calls to us. We sit up. "If you two are done relaxing, we could use some help." We get up and run over to him. "We've gotta start packing up everything. Get ready so we can leave as quickly as possible." He stops to wipe sweat from his forehead. "Think you can help?"

"Eeyup," I say.

We spend the rest of the day packing up what we can, including clothes, food, water, weapons, blankets and some of the tents. Most will get left behind.

By the time the sun goes down, we're all exhausted. We go back to our tents.

When I get to my cot, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.