Chapter 55: Worrisome

I head into the field, where I meet up with Rick and Carl.

"Michonne's back," Rick says as I join them.

Carl and him go and pull open the giant metal gate that we built and used to fix the damage the Governor had done. We also set up spikes around the outside of the walls, so the walkers get themselves impaled like the idiots they are.

Michonne rides up on our horse, Flame. She jumps off.

"Hey Michonne." I wave, taking a hold of Flame's bridle.

"Hey Hope. Has the supply group left yet?" she asks.

I shake my head. "They're about to." I lower my tone a little. "What about the Governor?"

"No sign of him. Daryl and I are thinking of calling off the search soon."

I nod, pursing my lips. A part of me would love for them to stop, since it only makes me scared for whether they'll return home or not.

"Look who got the jackpot." She grins at Carl. She's holding a huge stack of comics, and Carl's eyes widen.

"Awesome! Thank you!" He smiles widely, taking the comics.

"I also got you this," Michonne says, handing Rick a razor. "Your face is losing the war."

"I'm glad you're back," Rick says through a chuckle.

"I'm glad I'm back too."

I take Flame's lead and halter, leading him carefully to his stable. His velvety nose brushes my neck and I giggle. I take his saddle off and place it to the side, starting to brush him down. He whinnies and snorts softly.

I hear the motorcycle and car engines rumbling as they leave. I walk out of the stable and wave goodbye, watching them leave the prison behind.

Hershel and Rick discuss something nearby, probably the council's new request for him. He doesn't like taking his gun with him when he goes and checks the traps. The whole council, including me, wants him to start taking it along.

Rick nods and leaves, and Hershel watches for a bit.

"Hershel!" I call. He walks over to me. "Did you tell him?"

"Yeah, and he took one. I'm glad," he says.

"Good. He may be taking a break as leader for a bit, but that doesn't mean we don't need him," I say, putting down the brush in my hand and patting Flame.

Hershel smiles and nods. "I'm gonna go inside."

"See you."

I look over at the fence, where some of the children are standing, watching the walkers. I start strolling over to them, and I see that Carl and Patrick are with them too. I stay close enough to hear what they're saying.

"Hi Nick!" a little girl with blonde hair, Mika, says.

"Hey Jesse! Over here!" a little boy says.

"You're naming them?" Carl asks, disgusted.

"Yeah, I mean, that one had a name tag, so we thought they should all have names," Mika says, shrugging.

I look at the fence, where, among other walkers, is one male with a name tag reading NICK in big letters.

"They aren't people. They're dead," Carl says.

"No they aren't. They're just different," a girl about Carl's age retorts. She also has long blonde hair, and her name's Lizzie.

"Don't name them," Carl orders.

Lizzie frowns at him angrily.

"Let's go to story time," she grumbles, and the other children follow eagerly.