Chapter 38: Jealousy

Night falls, and we build a fire. Daryl takes first watch, and he stands on an overturned bus near the gate. He's wearing an oversized poncho that he found in one of the houses over the winter.

I sit by the fire with everyone while we eat the owl Daryl shot earlier. It helps me to think of it as chicken, seeing as it tastes the same. I take some extra meat from the pan we're cooking it on and put it in a bowl, standing up.

"Where are you going?" Carol asks.

"I'm taking some food to Daryl," I reply. I notice that she is also holding a bowl of meat, even though she already ate. "Problem?"

"No. No problem," she says, putting her bowl down and pushing it away from her.

I walk briskly to the bus, where Daryl is still pacing. He sees me and smiles.

"Hey you," he says, grabbing my hand and helping me up.

I hand him the bowl. "I brought you some owl. Don't need you starving."

He takes the pieces of meat and pops it into his mouth, little bits at a time. I sit down, my legs dangling off the edge of the bus. A cold wind blows and I shiver.

"You cold?" Daryl asks.

"A little. I'll be fine," I say.

"Nah. Here," he offers. He takes off his poncho and hands it to me.

"Won't you be cold?" I ask.

"If I get cold, we'll just have to share."

I smile and look back at the group. Carol is glaring at us, but when she notices me looking she turns away. I want so badly to just tell her to back off and find a new man, because it's obvious that she likes Daryl. She can't grasp the fact that I'm with him as his girlfriend. It's annoying as hell, but I shake my head and turn back.

"Let's head back," Daryl says after a long wait.

He gives me his hand, and I take it as we go sit by the fire. Rick joins us too, after patrolling the fences for a while.

"You know, I would love to hear some music," Hershel says thoughtfully. "Beth? Maggie?"

Maggie smiles, but shakes her head no.

Beth blushes and looks down. "No one wants to hear, daddy."

"I'd like it very much actually," T-dog pipes up.

"Same," Daryl mumbles.

"I'll sing something," I volunteer. "It's not much, but it's what I remember. Anyone like 'The Parting Glass'?"

"Go ahead," Hershel says, smiling.

I take a deep breath.

"Of all the money that e'er I had.
I've spent it in good company.
And all the harm that e'er I've done.
Alas it was to none but me.

"And all I've done for want of wit.
To memory now, I can't recall.
So fill to me the parting glass.
Good night and joy be with you all."

I sing softly, my voice floating away on the cool night breeze.

"Of all the comrades that e'er I had.
They are sorry for my going away.
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had.
They would wish me one more day to stay.

"But since it falls unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not.
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call.
Good night and joy be with you all."