Chapter 49: Angel

Daryl's POV

"There was a baby!" I yell, spinning to face Merle.

"Oh, otherwise you just would've left 'em to the biters," he says exaggeratedly.

I shake my head, trying to find the right words. We just saved a bunch of people on a bridge near the Yellowjacket creek, and he wanted to take their supplies. I can't do this with him anymore.

"Man, I went back for you. You weren't there. I didn't cut off your hand, neither. You did. Way before they locked you up on that roof. You asked for it."

He chuckles. "You know what's funny to me? You and Rick are like this now." He crosses his fingers. "I bet a penny and a fiddle of gold that you never told him we were plannin' to rob that camp blind."

"It didn't happen."

"Yeah, it didn't 'cause I wasn't there to help you!"

"What, like when we were kids, huh? Who left who then?" I accuse, my anger surfacing.

"What? Is that why I lost my hand?"

"You lost your hand 'cause you're a simpleminded piece of shit!" I yell as I start to storm away.

There's a brief pause before he speaks again. When he does, I stop in my tracks.

"You've changed, little brother. You ain't fun anymore," Merle calls. "It's that girl. She's got you wrapped around her finger."

"What if I like it that way?" I spit, turning to face him again. "What if I like havin' a woman in my life who loves me like she does? Like mom did? She's everythin' I've ever wanted!"

"She's playin' you for a fool. She's got you murmurin' sweet nothin's in her ear? Cuddlin' her? Holdin' her close? You're whipped!"

"Oh yeah? You'd know all about being whipped!" I shout.

Merle screams and lunges, tackling me to the ground. I fight against him, trying to get away. He grips the back of my shirt and tugs, ripping it apart. He stops as I stay on the ground, panting. He stares at the scars crisscrossing my back, and I pull my backpack onto my shoulders.

"I...I didn't know he was-"

"Yeah, he did," I say, my voice breaking. "He did the same to you. That's why you left first."

"I would've killed him otherwise," Merle says as I start to walk away. "Where you goin'?

"Back where I belong. Back to Hope," I reply.

"I can't go with you! I tried to kill that black bitch! Damn near killed the Chinese kid."

I stop and stare at him, my eyes hard. "He's Korean."

"Whatever!" He pants a little. "Doesn't matter, man. I just can't go with you!"

I look down, nodding my head a little a shaking an arrow in his direction. "You know, I may be the one walkin' away, but you're the one who's leavin'...again."

I turn and head back towards the prison, and back to my girl.

Hope's POV

The Governor and company get into their vehicles and speed away, leaving the destroyed fence and walkers behind.

I climb up onto the overturned bus, trying to get away from the walkers that are coming for me. Their teeth clash together, their hands grasping the air as they try to get me. I pull out my pistol, adjusting my grip. I shoot some of the walkers around the bus and then shoot some of the ones in the field. Before I can make a dent, my pistol clicks; empty. I try the shotgun, taking down more deadheads, but that clicks after a while too.