Chapter 42: Loss

The next day, we start cleaning up. We burn any walker bodies we find, pick up old clothes and paper; all that great stuff. Hershel has enough energy to teach Carol and I a bit more about delivering a baby. We go to his cell after breakfast.

"Lori had Carl by c-section, which means it's highly likely that she'll need one for this baby too," he explains. "Do either of you have any experience?"

I shake my head. "I've seen videos of the procedure, but the closest I've gotten to actually doing it is dissections."

"I practiced on a female walker yesterday," Carol says.

"Good. I think you'll be fine. When Lori has her baby, if c-section is needed, we'll have painkillers and everything ready. I won't be able to help," Hershel says.

"We've got it," I say confidently.

"I'm glad. Now, why don't you see if anyone else needs help?" Hershel suggests.

"Lori and Beth are going to help you get used to your crutches today," Carol says.

Hershel smiles. "Ah yes. I don't think I thanked you two for helping with my leg."

"It's no problem. Really," I say. "Good luck."

I leave the block, out of the prison and out the gate into the field, where I see some people gathering. I stroll up to them.

"What going on?" I ask.

"Oscar and Axel don't want to live in their cell block," T-dog says. "No one wants them living with us."

"I don't think it would be that bad. They don't seem like bad guys," I say.

"See? Hope's with me!" T-dog pats my back and grins.

"That still leaves you outnumbered. We stick to our original deal," Rick says.

"Sorry T," I say.

"Eh, it's alright," he says. "You tried."

I smile and we fist bump. T-dog had always been pretty awesome in my book.

"Let's get the vehicles parked over there," Rick orders.

Everyone separates, and I walk back across the field and into the courtyard. Hershel exits the prison on his crutches with Beth, Lori, and Carl by his side. I grin.

"Good job, Hershel!" we call.

Everyone stands together, smiling. Rick, Daryl, and Glenn are in the catwalk path surrounding the prison, and they're smiling too.

I look over my shoulder and see a huge hoard of walkers.

"WALKERS!" I scream.

I pull out my gun and fire, taking one down. Everyone snaps to attention. Guns are pulled out and walkers drop.

"The gate's open!" T-dog yells. Him and Carol run towards it.

"Lori! Carl!" I shout.

They run to me and I bring them inside the prison. We walk back to our cell block, but walkers come out of it.

"No no no no! Turn around!" I order.

We spin and head down a separate hallway. An alarm starts blaring, and I grit my teeth.

"Shit."

We round a few corners, and Lori gasps.

"What? What's wrong?" I ask her desperately.

"I...I think...the baby's coming," she says, breathing deeply.

"Mom?" Carl asks.

"Carl, we've got to find somewhere safe," I say. He nods.