Chapter 28: Lost and Found

Later, I'm lying on my cot, half my attention focused on my novel and the other half thinking of Daryl. I'm still hurting, but I managed to keep the tears at bay. I feel so awful. Daryl trusted me to believe in him, and now he thinks I don't.

What kind of a person does that?

I should feel pissed that he called me a bitch, but no, I feel bad for him.

I hear the tent door zip open, someone enters, and then soft footsteps move in my direction. I stiffen and pretend to be even more enraptured by my book.

"Hope?"

I ignore it. I know who it is. I don't want to see his betrayed look. I don't want to talk.

"Please talk to me. I'm...look, I'm sorry about this mornin'. You were just lookin' out for me. I'm not used to it, and...and...I was an asshole," he says. I don't budge, turning a page. One hand yanks the novel from my grip, revealing a pissed-looking Daryl. "Damn it woman, just talk to me!"

"Why should I?" I snap, sitting up and snatching my book back.

He looks taken aback. "I said I was sorry!"

"And you completely ignored my worries for you!" I stand up, spurred by the sudden anger. I toss my book aside.

"I never asked you to care 'bout me! That's your own fault!"

"What? And I'm a stupid bitch?" I shout, my voice trembling.

"No! You aren't stupid or a bitch! That was heat of the moment!"

"Forget it, Daryl. Just forget it."

"Please just tell me why the hell you're so upset over this," he pleads angrily.

His blue eyes are full of remorse behind the anger, and I spin to face him, tears appearing in my eyes.

"You trusted me to believe in you! You...you said I was the only one who still believed. I failed at staying supportive to you, so now you probably think that I'm a horrible human being, and-"

He leans forward and kisses me, cutting me off. After the initial shock wears off, I melt into it, pulling him closer to me. His kiss is gentle but strong, like him. His hands find my face, and I work my lips against his. We break away too soon, but we continue to stare into each other's eyes.

"I'm sorry," he whispers.

I blink a few times, still getting over what just happened. "You...you really steal our first kiss by trying to shut me up?"

He shakes his head. "Nah...not shut you up. You...you talkin', feelin' so low about yourself...I had to show you what I felt, I guess."

"You could've just said something."

"I know...I'm sorry."

I shut my eyes as I step closer to him, our chests touching. "All is forgiven."

He nods, his forehead touching mine, our lips hovering only an inch or so away from each other. His hands haven't left from where they cup my jaw and neck comfortably. I want to tug him back into my embrace, my head still spinning. It felt...so right.

"Come on. We gotta go on another search," he says, turning around and pulling open the flap.

I nod, still sort of dazed. We leave the tent, his fingers brushing mine as we walk. I can see everyone gathering by the front door of the house. Rick is nowhere to be seen.

"Damn it, people. Isn't anyone takin' this seriously?" Daryl asks when we see that no one is searching.

Shane comes up the drive, carrying the bag of guns.