Chapter 22

I looked down at the small sleeping baby and back at Nate.

"He looks so tiny and fragile, Nate."

He smiled and nodded "I know but that's what makes him so perfect. Go ahead, pick him up."

I nodded my head before looking back down at the infant before sliding my hands under his arms and lifting up his tiny body.

Kaden let out a tiny whimper as I cradled him in my arms and I smiled at how light he felt.

I moved my arms back and forth very softly as he slept before rubbing his tiny nose with my one of the fingers from my broken hand.

That did it..

He woke up.

His tiny eye lids opened up very slowly and I was met with dark blue eyes that had a hint of red around the pupil.

"Nate look." I whispered.

"They're just like yours." he smiled, coming up to me and looking at our son closer.

I heard the sound of a door shutting and I turned to see that the nurse had given us some privacy.

Thank God..

I smiled down at my son "Hi Kaden."

His little eyes met mine and I smiled before leaning down and placing a kiss on his forehead.

"He's so cute." I chuckled, turning to Nathaniel "He wants his daddy."

His face lit up and he nodded eagerly, holding his arms out for him.

As soon as Kaden was in his arms I realized something.

This is exactly what I wanted.

I wanted Nate to be in my life.

I wanted Nate to be in Kadens life.

And right now, he is.

But I'm pushing him away.

Why am I pushing something away that I wanted so badly?

Who the hell knows...

That's all I ever wanted. My family to be together my son to have a father and to be with the one I love for the rest of my life.

But I don't want to be heart broken again!

And I won't

We will figure something out..

A tear slid down my cheek as I watched Nate make funny faces to our son and whisper to him.

These pregnancy hormones are still here.....

Damn them..

Nate caught me wipe it away and smiled at me. "Usually I would make fun of you but I'm on the verge of crying myself."

"Well its probably just my after pregnancy hormones, so I can laugh at you"

He chuckled and nodded "I wouldn't mind, it's a perfectly normal to cry at a moment like this."

I smiled "You're awesome, you know that?"

He smirked "Ive heard that once or twice."

Before I could respond, the door opened and the doctor from earlier walked in and smiled at us. "How are you doing, lovely parents?"

"Perfect." I smiled.

He nodded his head. "That's good. I just came in to tell you that you can take him to your room if you want. I know your friends are all waiting for you."

I nodded my head and smiled at Nate. "Well take him in there."

*************

Nathaniel handed me Kaden right before we stepped back into my room and I thanked him as he opened the door for me.

Paisley and Jeremy were lying on my newly made bed with their hands tangled while Bryson and Kayla were both on different chairs on different sides of the room.

They all sat up when they saw us come in and Paisley gasped before jumping up and running over to us.

"He's so precious!" she squealed "Can I hold him??''

"Calm down Pais, they just met him too." Jer laughed, wrapping his arms around her waist as he walked up.

I chuckled at her pouting face before handing Kaden over gently "Of course you can hold him Pais."

She stuck her tongue out at him before taking him in her arms and rocking him.

Kayla walked over to her and picked up Kadens little hand and giggled as he wrapped his tiny fingers around hers.

Light was pouring into the room from the window, so I put the black out curtains over it before climbing into my bed.

"You tired?" Nate asked.

I nodded my head and smiled at him slightly. "Yeah, You?"

He chuckled "Yup."

I moved over and pat the spot next to me.

''You sure?" he asked.

I nodded my head and shrugged "It's nothing we haven't already done...."

Nate chuckled before taking off his shoes and climbing into the bed with me.

"Night Nate.." I mumbled.

"Night Princess."