Chapter 72

Brendon hung up on his partner, then walked out of his room, feeling quite triumphant. His plan was unfolding just the way he wanted it to. 

Before walking into the bedroom, where Ella was, he placed a sad look on his face, but made sure that he didn't look too sad.

As he made his way into the room, Brendon cleared his throat, then watched as Ella slowly looked up at him.  Her eyes were bloodshot from all of her crying.

"I'm sorry to say this, but I just got a call from the hospital." Ella knew where this was going, already knowing that she wouldn't be able to handle that news.  

"Your dad...he's dead." Ella pursed her lips, then nodded, looking down at the ground. Her heart kept on saying that this was her fault, while her mind told her that it was Brendon's.

Ella couldn't cry anymore. She had to realize that this was going to be the life she was going to live. Wiping away the former tears, Ella stood up.

"C-Can we go visit him? I-I mean he was all I had left." Brendon was angered by Ella's little statement, but didn't take it out on her.

Instead, he just nodded, then placed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

~~~~~~~~~~

Arriving at the hospital, Ella was quite anxious. She had never thought she would see the day where she was all alone, no parents to order her around or check up on her. 

It all felt so weird. As Ella and Brendon walked into the hospital, Ella didn't feel too great. She knew that there would have to be so much done for her father's body.

"Hello, how can I help you today?" The nurse had a bright smile on her face, making jealousy run through Ella's body. She would never be happy anymore. Not after this.

"We're here to visit Mr. Luke Wilson. We just got a call stating that he had passed away." The nurse nodded, then began typing something on to her computer. 

"He's in room one-hundred and one. Its on the next floor up, first door on your left." Brendon and Ella said a quick 'thank you', then left to go upstairs.

As they sat in the elevator, something was starting to hold Ella back from wanting to see her dad. She thought that it might have been Brendon, but he seemed to be sad with the situation as well. 

But, then again, when does Brendon ever show emotion. The elevator doors opened, revealing the second floor. 

Some of the people that were waiting out in the halls were crying, probably mourning the loss of their loved ones. It broke Ella's heart to see everyone else in pain.

Then again, her heart broke when she realized that her own father was dead. Brendon held onto Ella's hand tightly as they walked through the door to Luke's room.

There he was. His skin as white as snow, his lips a faded pink. The monitor showed that his heart truly gave up on him.

Brendon let go of Ella's hand, allowing her to go over to where her father was. She kneeled beside the bed, then placed her hand against his cheek. 

The ice cold skin collided with her fairly warm skin. He was truly gone. "Oh, dad. I'm sorry this happened to you. I should've left you out of all this and had you stay safe at home, while I figure it all out.

Without you, I don't know if I could ever be happy again, as sappy as that sounds. I just wish I really had the chance to say goodbye. You'll forever be in my heart, along with mom. Thank you, for all you've done for me. I couldn't have done it without you."

They stayed there for a couple minutes more, then left, wanting to sign the papers and leave. Just as the door closed behind them, the heart monitor began to slowly beep once again.

Luke opened his eyes slowly, then looked towards the door with a small smile on his face. "I swore on my life that I would protect you, Ella. I won't leave you until I do just that."