Chapter 6

As soon as the two played Twenty Questions, Brendon was pretty content with the information he got out of Ella. The party had been going on for quite some time now, and there was still someone missing. Ella was now seated at the dining room table, her head resting on the palm of her right hand. She had invited her father to the party, with her mother's consent, of course. Ella hadn't seen her father for quite some time due to the fact that her mother gained full custody of her. Now, here she was, sitting alone at a table with her head in her hands. Ella hated the fact that her parents broke up, but for some families, it has to be done. Brendon, who was standing in the corner of the kitchen by Ella's mom, took notice of her behavior. He wanted to go over there and comfort her, but he knew that he would be getting too attached to her. Instead of going to rescue the girl, Brendon took a couple sips of his champagne, getting involved with some conversation between all the neighbors.

Ella sighed, playing with the last chocolate cookie that sat on her plate, waiting to be eaten. She thought that it was funny since she was happy for this party, but now she was just being sad and not engaging in any conversation. Just as she was about to go tell her mom that she was going to go to bed, the doorbell rang. Ella frowned, walking towards the door to see who it could be. As the old wooden door slowly opened, Ella locked eyes with her father, the man she hadn't seen in such a long time. He smiled back at her, holding out a present towards her. "Told you I would make it. I wouldn't miss this for the world." Ella tightly hugged her father, while Brendon watched from afar. He clenched his jaw, jealously rising in his body. "Seems like I'll have to take what's mine early."