Chapter 22

Brendon's words replayed in Ella's mind, causing her to shiver with fear. Brendon sat there, taking a sip of his bitter, black coffee as he watched Ella closely.

"Do you understand, Ella?" She gulped, feeling like she had just swallowed a softball. "I, uh, I'm not hungry anymore."

She pushed her uncleaned plate further away from her, wrapping her arms around herself. Brendon furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you sure? You just said that you haven't eaten since the day I took you." 

Ella looked down at the food, which was simply beckoning her to eat, then back up at Brendon. "You know, Ella, I don't like it when you lie to me, but I'm gonna let this slide. You seem like you need to have some alone time, so I'll leave you to whatever it is you wanna do."

Ella sighed, shaking her head. "No. I-I wanna stay here and get to know you." This time, Brendon was shocked. He thought that Ella couldn't stand to be by him.

"Really? Its fine with me if you want to leave, Ella. I'm not mad."

Ella bit her lip, looking down again. "I'm being serious. I don't want to leave."

Brendon looked into her eyes, knowing that what he was about to do was on impulse. He couldn't help it.

Pulling Ella closer, Brendon tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, then slowly leaned in until his lips connected with hers.

Ella felt something. It was just something she could blow off, though. It was a certain something that she knew would tear her up inside. She was slowly falling for the monster that had kidnapped her.

Not even a few seconds later, Brendon pulled away, breathing heavily as he thought about what just happened. "Ella, for your safety, I-I need you to go upstairs. I'm afraid I can't control what my body craves."