Grimoire 01 - Chapter 03 - The Balance between Science and Magic [Part 04]

But she gasped and froze on the spot just after a single step.

There was someone else in the studio apartment other than the two of them.

And it was definitely not Finn.

There was a man dressed in a nice suit, sitting on the couch to her left. He looked to be in his early thirties and although he was sitting, one could still tell that he was tall, really tall. He looked to be at least 190 centimetres in height. His hair was short and had a pretty rough style but it certainly fitted his look. Overall, he gave an extremely strong impression like a person from the mafia.

"This is a pretty nice place."

His rough yet eloquent voice broke the silent atmosphere.

"Who are you? Please leave right this instant and maybe, just maybe I'll forgive you for trespassing."

Gaheris said as she walked in front of Eve and assumed a defensive stance. Judging from Eve's reaction, Gaheris instantly knew he was an enemy. Now that Gaheris was blocking his line of sight, Eve reached down to her right thigh and tried to grab out of reflex, but then remembered she did not have the pistol with her. She bit her lips as she glared straight at the man.

"I don't mind leaving peacefully, but I need the girl. She's our property. If I leave, she leaves."

The man said as he stood up and pointed straight at Eve. Gaheris's eyes widened in surprised, but still, she immediately replied.

"I really have to question that impudent attitude of yours when the person in question is clearly averse to your intention and you even go as far as treating her like property? In that regard, you might as well dress like a ruffian to suit your personality, you low-life."

"Heh, you sure hit it where it hurts cute little blondie. Although I agree with you on that point, for I am a gentleman. But, I don't really have a choice. Orders are orders, and the orders from the princess is absolute."

"Princess...?"

"Speaking of which, I think she's with that boy right about now...? What was his name? Finn? Right, Finn."

Gaheris's eyes widened instantly when she heard the name. Usually she would know right away whether or not it was a bluff as the relationship between Finn and she can be considered to be special. They can vaguely tell the state of one another's mind and to a certain extent, even feelings. This holds true even when they are apart from one another.

But this time, Gaheris could not feel that connection, not even a little.

"What did you do to Finn!?"

She shouted at the top of her lungs out of reflex, but the man was unfazed and replied as politely as ever.

"I wonder if he is even still alive at this point. The princess is pretty vicious after all, though I probably shouldn't say that in front of her. Her gaze alone is enough to kill."

"If anything happens to him, I'll make doubly sure your death won't be the least bit peaceful."

The man raised an eyebrow before letting out a snicker.

"That is certainly a scary thought. But what needs to be done, has to be done. I hope you won't hold any grudges. I don't have much time to spare so I'll be taking that girl back with me now, and I'll use any means necessary."

"Tch!?"

The both of them moved at the same time.

In one smooth motion, the man had kicked off the ground and was approaching Gaheris at high speed. He had both his hands locked together, with his right elbow aimed straight at Gaheris's torso. Gaheris quickly pushed Eve back before bringing her left hand down. Focusing all her energy, Gaheris materialized her gauntlet and claymore. But for some reason or another, not only did her claymore not appear but her gauntlet, though present, seemed ethereal in nature.